Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 02-07-2018, 02:37 AM
Junior Posting Member

JonPaulsen is on a distinguished road
Default CITES and KS basses

Hi!
With the new CITES regulations that make it harder to import instruments with endangered woods, I was just wondering if Ken Smith Basses are built using any of the woods that are listed under the CITES regulation and thereby requiring permits for export out of USA?

I know that there are many luthiers who are working actively to promote use of sustainable woods only. I have a 90 BT6, and as far as I know, the morado fingerboard, walnut neck stringers, mahogany and koa body wings are all "good" with regards to CITES. Although some of them are on other red lists.

What are Ken Smith Basses take on these issues?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb walnut neck stringers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPaulsen View Post
Hi!
With the new CITES regulations that make it harder to import instruments with endangered woods, I was just wondering if Ken Smith Basses are built using any of the woods that are listed under the CITES regulation and thereby requiring permits for export out of USA?

I know that there are many luthiers who are working actively to promote use of sustainable woods only. I have a 90 BT6, and as far as I know, the morado fingerboard, walnut neck stringers, mahogany and koa body wings are all "good" with regards to CITES. Although some of them are on other red lists.

What are Ken Smith Basses take on these issues?
First off, the laminates in the Neck are NOT Walnut. They are probably Morado if dark brown. If reddish brown, they are Bubinga.

The only two woods we have on that List are Bubinga and Cocobolo which we only use for domestic orders. Both used as Top woods. The Mahogany we use is the African variety and not the Tropical Swietenia variety which is in your bass from 1990.

So, any bass we ship out of USA, is safe with Cites. Thanks for asking.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 AM
Junior Posting Member

JonPaulsen is on a distinguished road

Fabolous!! :-)
Great selling point, too, actually. I've had a Warwick in the 90s and even back then it wasn't fun showing up at gigs with half a rain forrest strapped around my neck at gigs. I'm thinking some of those exotic wood bass companies must be in a really difficult spot with regards to CITES.

Based on the color, I guess it's Morado in my bass, then (color looks identical to the fingerboard). :-) Thanks again for your quick answers!

Cheers,
Jon-Inge