Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New Eurosonic Orchestra Strings!

A New Orchestra/Jazz String is coming to town!

Last year I tested two sets of Strings for JR Music. They were light and medium tension Strings. I gave my comments and a few weeks ago received the Lights made to the specs we discussed as well as the Mediums. They produced several sets of the Light tension Strings but only one set of Mediums which I have on one of my Basses now.

What are these like? Well, I have been testing and trying many strings and as many of you know, my main String has been Flexocor for Orchestra but I have no relation with Pirastro other than trying out some strings for them and giving my results which have yielded zero in terms of response from them in design changes. They actually discontinued their best Ext. E/C String which is a reverse of the direction I think they should have gone..

These new Eurosonic Orchestra Strings Pizz great as well but not like a Spiro Red. More like an Obligato or Jargar with a softer feel. Also, I tested the Oliv/Eudoxa combo on my Bisiach Bass so I decided to put the new Lights on that Bass as well for its final test.

The results? Well in my opinion try putting Olivs, Eudoxas, Obligatos and Jargars in a blender! Both the Medium and Light sets are about the same thickness but the Tension is different. They Bow smooth, loud and deep and Pizz with a thickness better than most regular steel Jazz strings. They feel almost like Olivs under the fingers and stay in tune better. They Bow close to the Olivs and Jargars and better than Obligatos. I have them on my Bisiach and I personally vote them as the best new string on the market today.

Will I private label these as my own? No, not at this time but the offer was made by JR if I wanted to. I think that they have the most to do with this String by making them and I would rather support them than compete against my own supplier at this time.

Where to get them? I just received a few sets for Stock and now have them '4-Sale'. The direct price is $144 per set discounted. Currently, only the Light Tension is available which I would call "Regular Tension". In the future the Medium tension ("Firm Tension" to me) will be available. Also on the horizon will be a 'C/E' Extension String in both Tensions.

For Basses with a weaker sounding E in comparison to the G, D and A, the Medium E with the Light/Regular Tension set might be the fix but until the Mediums are made and in stock, that thought is on hold.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 03-23-2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Now available, $144/set.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

How would you compare them to weichs for both pizz & arco?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
How would you compare them to weichs for both pizz & arco?

Sorry, I have never used the Weichs. I have used in the past the Reds but these far surpass them as Arco strings. The Pizz is closer to a fatter sounding Obligato type sound.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Sorry, I have never used the Weichs. I have used in the past the Reds but these far surpass them as Arco strings. The Pizz is closer to a fatter sounding Obligato type sound.
IMO (in my opinion) old weichs are very hard to beat as an all round string once they have settled down (2-3 weeks). I've spent countless dollars (NZ) trying different strings. the Weichs actually bow well. Ken, I'd love you to give them a try.
Richard
Old 04-09-2007, 04:01 AM
Posting Member

Robert Prowse is on a distinguished road
Default strings

Don't believe it ... Richard's probably just quoting brib!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
IMO (in my opinion) old weichs are very hard to beat as an all round string once they have settled down (2-3 weeks). I've spent countless dollars (NZ) trying different strings. the Weichs actually bow well. Ken, I'd love you to give them a try.
Richard
Richard, I have played ALL the Thomastic strings if you count trying them on other peoples Basses. The only good Orchestral string they make in my opinion is the new BelCantos which I just bought a Bass that has them so I will get to know them well. Some Orchestral players use the other Thomastic Weichs, Mittles and Solo as well as combinations of 2 or 3 types to balance out their Bass but this again is a minority. Pirastro from what I have heard is still the #1 Orchestral string choice in USA.

I think these new Eurosonics will take hold in time but their marketing is not that strong at the moment.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Richard, I have played ALL the Thomastic strings if you count trying them on other peoples Basses. The only good Orchestral string they make in my opinion is the new BelCantos which I just bought a Bass that has them so I will get to know them well. Some Orchestral players use the other Thomastic Weichs, Mittles and Solo as well as combinations of 2 or 3 types to balance out their Bass but this again is a minority. Pirastro from what I have heard is still the #1 Orchestral string choice in USA.

I think these new Eurosonics will take hold in time but their marketing is not that strong at the moment.
I am starting to get interested in these Eurosonics. A player told me not too long ago that the just retired principal of the NZSO was using Weichs in the orchestra. It is my impression though, as an outsider from the orchestral world, that Pirastro is the no 1 choice here too. Bowed Weichs and Mittles certainly have a crappy sound when they are new. For this reason the Eurosonics sound interesting.