Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Jazz/Pizz

Old 03-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New Eurosonic Orchestra Strings!

A New Orchestra/Jazz String is coming to town!

Last year I tested two sets of Strings for JR Music. They were light and medium tension Strings. I gave my comments and a few weeks ago received the Lights made to the specs we discussed as well as the Mediums. They produced several sets of the Light tension Strings but only one set of Mediums which I have on one of my Basses now.

What are these like? Well, I have been testing and trying many strings and as many of you know, my main String has been Flexocor for Orchestra but I have no relation with Pirastro other than trying out some strings for them and giving my results which have yielded zero in terms of response from them in design changes. They actually discontinued their best Ext. E/C String which is a reverse of the direction I think they should have gone..

These new Eurosonic Orchestra Strings Pizz great as well but not like a Spiro Red. More like an Obligato or Jargar with a softer feel. Also, I tested the Oliv/Eudoxa combo on my Bisiach Bass so I decided to put the new Lights on that Bass as well for its final test.

The results? Well in my opinion try putting Olivs, Eudoxas, Obligatos and Jargars in a blender! Both the Medium and Light sets are about the same thickness but the Tension is different. They Bow smooth, loud and deep and Pizz with a thickness better than most regular steel Jazz strings. They feel almost like Olivs under the fingers and stay in tune better. They Bow close to the Olivs and Jargars and better than Obligatos. I have them on my Bisiach and I personally vote them as the best new string on the market today.

Will I private label these as my own? No, not at this time but the offer was made by JR if I wanted to. I think that they have the most to do with this String by making them and I would rather support them than compete against my own supplier at this time.

Where to get them? I just received a few sets for Stock and now have them '4-Sale'. The direct price is $144 per set discounted. Currently, only the Light Tension is available which I would call "Regular Tension". In the future the Medium tension ("Firm Tension" to me) will be available. Also on the horizon will be a 'C/E' Extension String in both Tensions.

For Basses with a weaker sounding E in comparison to the G, D and A, the Medium E with the Light/Regular Tension set might be the fix but until the Mediums are made and in stock, that thought is on hold.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 03-23-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Now available, $144/set.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Posting Member

Marcus Johnson is on a distinguished road

Ooooh baby..... thanks for the headsup, Ken. I know you don't randomly gush about strings (or anything else)..... so Next time around, I'll give 'em a go (soon).

PS....are these steel core, or are they silk and steel like other Euros? Details, please!

I know..... patience is a virtue.

Last edited by Marcus Johnson; 03-22-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Posting Member

Michael Case is on a distinguished road

It never stops does it? The search for the perfect string, it was easier on BG because strings cost $40.00 at most for a set. My girlfriend is gonna toss me out on my a$$ if I come home with more new strings to experiment with. That's why I change them in a practice room at school.

Myspace
Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ron Lacey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Johnson View Post
I know..... patience is a virtue.
God I hope so, I just put a new set of Spirocore Orchestras on my bass so I'll need to wait for 10-20 years before I need a new set.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Posting Member

Michael Case is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lacey View Post
God I hope so, I just put a new set of Spirocore Orchestras on my bass so I'll need to wait for 10-20 years before I need a new set.
Yeah and 5 to 10 years for them to settle down and lose that bright twangy sound.

Myspace
Old 04-22-2007, 04:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb 5-10 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Case View Post
Yeah and 5 to 10 years for them to settle down and lose that bright twangy sound.
If the strings don't tame in 5-10 hours or days I would switch them out. Strings that take 5-10 months may be the wrong string for you but I have experienced this with Spiros on some better Basses.

What we have to look at is internal wear, stretched or worn windings and tune-ability. The Euro's I am trying now tune-up about the best that I have seen. They feel and sound like wrapped Gut but tune-up like high tech steel Ropecores which is what they are.

When the E/C Extension String is ready, I will try them on my main Bass. Right now they are on only one of my Basses which I use for Orchestra or Jazz. If I need an Ext. I have to use a different Bass but this Bass too is getting an Ext soon.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Junior Posting Member

George Bell is on a distinguished road
Default Eurosonic vs Velvet

Ken,

I am new to your forum, but I am glad you host this being I am finding some issues i haven't found at other places.

Have you ever used Velvet 180's? If so do you know how they compare the Eurosonic Orchestra strings? I need to bow and pizz, but I love the gut like sound without being gut. I only have one bass so I need multi-purpose strings that will be good for a orchestra, but definitely suit my needs for jazz being my main gig. I am a big fan of Velvets, but I am very curious about the Eurosonic Orch. strings. Do you have any input or suggestions?

Thanks,

TMWBassist
Old 04-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Velvets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWBassist View Post
Ken,

I am new to your forum, but I am glad you host this being I am finding some issues i haven't found at other places.

Have you ever used Velvet 180's? If so do you know how they compare the Eurosonic Orchestra strings? I need to bow and pizz, but I love the gut like sound without being gut. I only have one bass so I need multi-purpose strings that will be good for a orchestra, but definitely suit my needs for jazz being my main gig. I am a big fan of Velvets, but I am very curious about the Eurosonic Orch. strings. Do you have any input or suggestions?

Thanks,

TMWBassist
I tried them a few years ago. The package had 3 copper colored strings and a silver one on the. Was not at all what I was looking for back then. Afterwards, I went back to Pirastros that I had been using..

Last edited by Ken Smith; 09-20-2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: New info..
Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I tried them a few years ago. The package had 3 copper colored strings and a silver one on the. Was not at all what I was looking for back then. Afterwards, I went back to Pirastros that I had been using..
I just edited the Post above because I found out two things since posting. One, these were an older design made while they were being developed and two, I was told that the 'G' should not have been a different color. Either these were an experimental set or they were mis-packaged somewhere along the line.

Currently I am waiting for a new set to come in with a C-Ext string and give them another try. Some many people love these Velvets and even I like how they sound when hearing someone else play a few feet away. I just didn't like that old set I tried under my ear and fingers. I am keeping an open mind and will be trying them most likely on my Martini