Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 06-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Smile well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Ken or Arnold, what do you know about the DB John is playing in this clip (....in addition to the fantastic sound he projects)?
I think it's Ray Browns old bass that is pictured on the cover of the Oscar Peterson Album "We get Requests". Ray had another Bass before that one that's now in the Toronto area with a Symphony player. Ray told me he sold it becuase it was too delicate for the road. The Bass John is playing is an old German Orchestra Bass from the late 19th century (in my opinion, not humbly.. lol). We see a bot of these basses and often they are called French because the look nicer than the rub in the mill Factory German stuff.

Quote:
.. quoted by Arnold above; Yeah, first I was attempting to bow the melody to "My Romance". I look up and Paul Ellison is standing next to me. I exclaim, "Paul, I don't really do this!" (play the bass). Then the three of us are playing a fast blues, and I open my eyes because I notice the guy next to me is SMOKIN! And it's John Clayton! Holy crap!!! What key were we in? Only at the ISB...
Actually Arnold and folks, we were playing the 'Blues' when Paul walked in. When John happened by, we were doing ''Greater Love' hence the reason I mentioned I needed help with the changes. Playing the 'Blues' is breakfast for me. I would not have asked for help if that were the case..

Just a slight correction in my own defense. Arnold is still sore from getting his butt handed to him on the Golf course.

Of course I know the changes to the Blues.. any key..
Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post

Arnold is still sore from getting his butt handed to him on the Golf course.
I did not have my butt handed to me. We were teammates, remember? If we had not been teammates, I would have had my butt KICKED. I'm not sore. Eagerly anticipating the Schnitzer vs. Smith Father/Son tournament. Place bets, anyone?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I did not have my butt handed to me. We were teammates, remember? If we had not been teammates, I would have had my butt KICKED. I'm not sore. Eagerly anticipating the Schnitzer vs. Smith Father/Son tournament. Place bets, anyone?
Is your house paid for? My son was on the Varsity golf team in HS all 4 years..

Ah...
Quote:
from Arnold's Talk bass post; Monday afternoon, after getting up at 5AM, 5 hours in the truck, setting up, and probably 3 miles of walking to get around this gorgeous campus, Ken Smith and I got drafted into a golf game with the Cincinnati boys. Well, here I will publicly eat crow, as I disbelieved Ken's boasting about his golf prowess. He kicked my ass! Fortunately, I have many, many excuses, and a lightning storm put me out of my misery after only six holes. But I digress...
I was just repeating what you posted on TB. I would never ever go around telling people how I had to carry the whole team (Arnold, Nick Lloyd and myself).

lol.....
Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow also..

Quote:
We will be in Room 117, near the Esber Recital Hall in the School of Music Building, sharing the large Room 117 with one, perhaps two other vendors.

This is not where most of the other exhibits are but it's near the Recital Stage area in an adjacent building. Maybe we will be able to use the Stage to demo Basses, who knows?

The line-up at this time is;
Samuel Gilkes, London 1814
John Thomas Hart, London c.1830
Attr. English Gamba, c.1780
Oreste Martini, Mantova 1919
Oreste Candi, Genoa 1936
Peter Hamilton-Box, Kent 2008

We will also show a collection of fine French model Bass bows as well as our affordable KSB Bows in French (stamped C.Loveri) and German (stamped B.Fendt).
On the Gilkes, Tom Martin kept telling me to pronounce it Jilkes as that is the English way so I have to practice that.. Jilkes.. Jilkes.. Jilkes..

All of the Dealers and players that saw the Gilkes loved it and commented on the sound and fantastic condition. Tom also mentioned that Gilkes (Jilkes) was the Customs Examiner to the Queen for instruments entering the country. Charles Harris, the teacher and relative of Gilkes is also listed as a Customs official. This Gilkes Bass by Samuel, the only one known to have been made by him (labeled and branded) as well as having that 7-layer purfling with the Diamond neckless of purfling under the button may have been a Royal Commission of some sort. I guess we will never know.

Leon Bosch commented that he wished he had use the Big Gamba for his recital. He was able to get around that bass like it was a solo instrument. What an amazing player he is.

Players had pre-arranged for instruments loaned out to perform on as many came without a Bass. Stefano loved the Candi but the Karr bass had been brought in for him to use prior to the show. He commented that when playing the Gilkes (Jilkes) up at the end of the FB on the 'G' that it was one of the best sounding basses he had ever heard.

Guys, these players I heard this week, up close and personal, can make a bass sound that is beyond words I can describe. I never knew how good the Gilkes or Martini was before hearing it played at this show. Most agreed that the big Gamba was a very special bass but there was one top dealer (not to be named) that said "I like the Gilkes best over all of them"..

My Wife today asked if I had told them that it was her that picked out the Gilkes over a dozen other basses for me to buy when I was shopping some 5-6 years ago for my personal bass. So officially, my wife Claudia is the one responsible for me getting the Gilkes.. There.. I said it..
Old 06-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I met Linda McKnight while finishing up dinner and than sat next to Bert Turetsky while watching Ron Carter in concert.. Just a small sample of an evening at the ISB.. Oh, and I walked from dinner to the concert with Stefano Sciascia as we just happen to be walking out of the same restaurant.
Ken, did you have a musorgasm?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Ken, you correctly quoted me as saying "He kicked my ass". However, you wrote that you handed my butt to me. Perhaps semantics, fighting words for sure. So, your kid was varsity golf in high school? My kid was the team CAPTAIN! You guys are goin' down!

Say, Ken, how about we use our tournament as a fund raiser, proceeds to benefit something bass-related, like the ISB?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question musorgasm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
Ken, did you have a musorgasm?
A what?

Do I need a second opinion to tell if I did?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink humm..

Quote:
Ken, you correctly quoted me as saying "He kicked my ass". However, you wrote that you handed my butt to me. Perhaps semantics, fighting words for sure. So, your kid was varsity golf in high school? My kid was the team CAPTAIN! You guys are goin' down!

Say, Ken, how about we use our tournament as a fund raiser, proceeds to benefit something bass-related, like the ISB?
Ok, but I can almost guarantee that you will making a bigger donation at the 19th!!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A what?

Do I need a second opinion to tell if I did?
http://mama.indstate.edu/users/nizrael/musorgasm.html
Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post

Well, watching Leon Bosch play my big Gamba was amazing so I guess I did have a few of those. Also, watching Stefano play the Gilkes, Candi and other basses I went there as well. All in all, looking back at the players in my booth including Paul Ellison and John Clayton whom each played only a few minutes, I was thrilled to see it was one of my basses in their hands that together produced a sound I would be happy to almost die for.

The other experience was just meeting them. I had Sergio Scaramelli in the booth a few times and besides him being the one that gave new life to my Martini in 1999, he played beautifully as well. Sergio uses the Bille style Italian fingering which is 1-3-4, not using the 2nd in the lower positions. Both Sergio and Stefano played the Candi back to back. Sergio has a Candi Cello in his personal collection and just loved seeing and playing the only bass Candi ever made.

I guess the experience of meeting and talking with these people one on one as they played the basses or played for me which is how it felt, combined gave me one of those thig-a-ma-jigs Calvin.

These guys and gals are people too and watching them all play in the same week on my basses was heaven. I told Stefano after playing my basses, that they are now 'Blessed' having been made more musical than ever from his hands. I never in my life with all the players that have played it heard sounds from the Gilkes like I did that first time he walked into the booth. Each note was so musical sounding.

The ISB for me was a life experience, not just a show. Some of these players are like living Gods with a bass in their hands and so humble as well.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

that sounds like a LOT OF fun there.

i don´t want to spoil the party, but, just for my curiosity -

back to business : did you sell a bass?

Last edited by Anselm Hauke; 06-15-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
that sounds like a LOT OF fun there.

i don´t want to spoil the party, but, just for my curiosity -

back to business : did you sell a bass?
I don't think it's easy for anyone to buy a Bass in the range I had on show in a day or two. I did make a lot of contacts and I do expect to get some sales from it. The cheapest bass I had on display listed for $24k. That one was close as it got the most interest in the 20k range shoppers. In the more expensive basses it was mostly jaws dropping. I was told by many that the Big Gamba was the best bass at the show. "That 'A' String" is what I kept hearing from players after playing it as well as people coming to try it after the word got out.

The Gilkes and Candi also received strong interest besides them both being one-of-a-kinds and the only bass by the maker known or ever seen.

Time will tell. Trade shows are usually more of a 'show and tell' than a store sale set-up. Patience is the prescribed show after treatment..
Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Posting Member

ok, thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Video...

Quote:
Eagerly anticipating the Schnitzer vs. Smith Father/Son tournament.
Would love to see some video excerpts of this.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

I have singled coin and it decided that I should bet my pride on a win for the Smiths.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

By the way, how did the bow business go? Apparently you managed to rid yourself of the new bow you wanted to keep..? Did you get any opinions on the German bows, that gold mounted Krusig for instance?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
By the way, how did the bow business go? Apparently you managed to rid yourself of the new bow you wanted to keep..? Did you get any opinions on the German bows, that gold mounted Krusig for instance?
Plenty of lookers but the show to me was more of a music event with exhibits as eye candy. Not that much buying going on from what I saw and heard. I was told before hand to expect something along those lines. They were correct in their educated assumptions.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
that gold mounted Krusig for instance?
what krusig do you talk about? krussig from hannover/germany?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Bows at the ISB..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
what krusig do you talk about? krussig from hannover/germany?
From my thread Bows at the ISB..

Quote:
Today I received two boxes with a total of 17 Bows in them. I have a Lotte and Ouchard in the pack as well as several beautiful high end German Bows. One is a gold mounted Snakewood Bow by Jan Krusig? Don't know him but the bow is beautiful with the screw in Snakewood to match. In total I received 9 French Bows and 7 German Bows.
As quoted above, that Bow.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
From my thread Bows at the ISB..

As quoted above, that Bow.
thanks ken.
so that is not jürgen krussig from hannover. he makes nice snakewood-bows, and does perfect rehairs and repairs.