Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 11-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Junior Posting Member

Greg Maniero is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone ever seen this?

I recently purchased a used bass that leaves me with some questions. I fell in love with the sound but am curious about its origins. It was appraised as a c1939 Andreas Wilfer but looking around I have found no reference to an Andreas Wilfer that is that old. I tried to email the Andreas Wilfer company in Germany but it didn't work. The person that I bought this bass from bought it in Toronto from a private seller. My question is about a CM that is carved into the neck heel. Has anyone seen anything like this. I thought that it may be from a school but haven't found anything that matches. I tried the Royal Conservatory or Music and the Canadian School for Music and Dance, contacted a bunch of Canadian lutiers, and inquired on other online sources. I thought that I would try the expertise found here. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	button2.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	2284  Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	549
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	2285  
Old 11-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Maniero View Post
I recently purchased a used bass that leaves me with some questions. I fell in love with the sound but am curious about its origins. It was appraised as a c1939 Andreas Wilfer but looking around I have found no reference to an Andreas Wilfer that is that old. I tried to email the Andreas Wilfer company in Germany but it didn't work. The person that I bought this bass from bought it in Toronto from a private seller. My question is about a CM that is carved into the neck heel. Has anyone seen anything like this. I thought that it may be from a school but haven't found anything that matches. I tried the Royal Conservatory or Music and the Canadian School for Music and Dance, contacted a bunch of Canadian lutiers, and inquired on other online sources. I thought that I would try the expertise found here. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Why are you calling the a Wilfer again? It is German but I need better pictures of the entire bass to say more. The re-finish on there is pretty bad as well. As far as looking up any old maker, what references are you using? The best book for old German names is out of print for over 50 years. 'German and Austrian V.makers' by Jalovec.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Junior Posting Member

I didn't think I had called it anything before. I don't call it a Wilfer, I just said that in 2002, that's what it was called in an appraisal. My most recent appraisal called it a German bass, I call it a bass with an ugly red refinish.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

Quote:
I didn't think I had called it anything before. I don't call it a Wilfer, I just said that in 2002, that's what it was called in an appraisal. My most recent appraisal called it a German bass, I call it a bass with an ugly red refinish.
The Button stamp CM. I have seen many inscriptions. usually from an owner, shop or school. My old Shen from 1997 has KS stamped in the button. I did that!

Someone somewhere stamped it. Probably a shop if the letters are that well stamped. Individuals usually don't have stamps nor do schools. Anything is possible but I think it has little to do with the bass itself.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default Thanks Ken

Maybe I'll just change the C to a G and make it mine .
Old 11-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe I'll just change the C to a G and make it mine .
I like it.