Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 06-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road
Default What are you working on?

What are you guys working on?

I'm doing a recital in October before I head off to do my Masters. It will feature the Proto "Carmen Fantasy", and a great modern Jewish piece by Paul Ben-Haim "Songs without words", as well as Bottesini's F# Concerto.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why you joined Ken's Corner..Setup information
Has the corrected set-up of your Bass since joining the Forum helped you in any way to prepare for this recital?

Will it be recorded in any way? Something you can post here for us to watch and/or listen to?

Either way, best of luck with it.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Has the corrected set-up of your Bass since joining the Forum helped you in any way to prepare for this recital?

Will it be recorded in any way? Something you can post here for us to watch and/or listen to?

Either way, best of luck with it.
Yes, the information I have gained has helped me select the correct strings for my instrument and the correct height of the strings/bridge. It makes playing this music a lot easier.

There will be a recording for sure, and I will post it. The recital is in October.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road

In double bass world, I have an outdoor gig tomorrow (western swing), another on the 4th of July (doing a Hank Williams tribute show) and a run of shows in July playing the same show. And I'm producing (and playing on) a swing record that we hope to finish in July.

In electric bass world, I've many hours of rehearsal ahead of me to do an LA show on August 1, playing a new version of the classic Genesis album "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" http://www.calprog.com/rewiring_genesis_live.htm

I'm grateful to have work.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:34 AM
Posting Member

Craig Regan is on a distinguished road

I am working on an old band saw I found buried in a barn. (above photo)

Here it is back home, all in parts.

This saw will be used to cut the ribs on bass #2.

Last edited by Craig Regan; 06-26-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Regan View Post

that is awesome.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Hey Craig-

Why don't you cut me a set and mail them to me! LOL.

BG
Old 06-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jake de Villiers is on a distinguished road
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Regan View Post

Craig, that looks like a pretty nice find! Can you find/fabricate any parts you need?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool working on..

Well, at the last Concert of the season I received the schedule for the fall-spring season '09-'10. The first concert is Wagner's Flying Dutchman of which I have music for on my B.Zimmerman CD and Sibelius 2/Dmaj. which I have as well. Also on the program is Ravel Pno. Concerto in G maj but I don't have it so 2 out of 3 is fine for now.

I also printed 2 of 3 from the 2nd concert in November, the 1st being October. We only get the music a month in advance at most or given out at the concert for the next one so sometimes it's just a few weeks.

With having some of my own music at lease I get to work on it in advance at my leisure. Finding U-Tube clips of any of this being performed is a huge plus. I can see the basses sometimes how and where they are playing some of the notes and in advance see the conductor and tempo as well. The Sibelius was something I was totally unfamiliar with but found that in the 6/4 sections (or 4/4) the tempo was at about 72, dotted half conducted in 2. This was a huge plus for my working on it in advance as the conductor will not give out his notes or tempos until the music is distributed a few weeks prior.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Good on you Ken.
I've reduced my solo repertoire to ten tunes, these are all improvisation based and can be played with a guitarist or pianist.
My ten tunes are:
Autumn Leaves, Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey, The Theme from Black Orpheus, Bye Bye Blackbird, Maria Mari, My Gentle Giant (original), Sally Goodin', Stella by Starlight, Sweet Georgia Brown and Torna a Surriento.
I play all of these tunes arco and try to keep them all evolving.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Wow you guys are all doing some fun stuff! Dave, that Genesis album is one of my all-time faves. What a lovely thing to do, play the entire album on stage! Craig, that saw is an instant charmer. I am a sucker for more os less useful old gadgets myself, but completely without any practical knowledge about them! Ken, that Sibelius was one of the orchestral experiences that made me set my mind on becoming a classical player. And Ravel is always wonderful. Isn't it the second movement that starts off like a pretty simple waltz but slowly evolves into some stellar beauty? Calvin, playing Proto must be a lot of fun. For unknown reasons, he is rather unknown in Scandinavia. Best of luck with it! Richard, I'm happy to hear that you find the time to enjoy yourself and your gentle giant, in between the cold morning drives to a cold school!

Myself, in a couple of weeks I'll go to an eight-day chamber orchestra/chamber music course with lots of masterclasses. The bass teacher is one of the best virtuosos in Scandinavia, if not in the world! I still haven't heard anyone else play so beautifully that you actually forget that you're hearing a bass player for all the music that comes flooding out. The rep for the course is massive, so I guess I'll have to defy the hot weather and start sweating with the bass. Also, I am trying out that super-expensive "Metall-Kolophonium" rosin with gold and meteor iron and whatnot.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
Wow you guys are all doing some fun stuff! Dave, that Genesis album is one of my all-time faves. What a lovely thing to do, play the entire album on stage!
Joel, the neatest part is that we're not doing it note for note; I was part of the group that did this album: http://www.progrockrecords.com/shop/view.php?id=175

It means I don't have to learn Mike Rutherford's bass parts - I have to re-learn my own parts!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb the Ravel?

Quote:
Ken, that Sibelius was one of the orchestral experiences that made me set my mind on becoming a classical player. And Ravel is always wonderful. Isn't it the second movement that starts off like a pretty simple waltz but slowly evolves into some stellar beauty?
I don't have the Ravel yet as I mentioned. I have no idea what it is yet unless I find a recording of it, a You Tube of it or I get the music which will not be until September. Music and You Tube is my favorite to listed and read a long before playing it. It really does help..
Old 06-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I don't have the Ravel yet as I mentioned. I have no idea what it is yet unless I find a recording of it, a You Tube of it or I get the music which will not be until September. Music and You Tube is my favorite to listed and read a long before playing it. It really does help..
I have almost all of Ravel's work's but not the Piano Concerto, sorry. I would have e-mailed it to you otherwise.

All in all, it's a magnificent piece. Plenty of Youtube Video's on it.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
I have almost all of Ravel's work's but not the Piano Concerto, sorry. I would have e-mailed it to you otherwise.

All in all, it's a magnificent piece. Plenty of Youtube Video's on it.
Thank's for the thought. With the other 2 pieces to work on I have my plate fairly full for now. I haven't played too many Piano Concertos that were as tough to work through as the standard orchestra rep pieces. Either way, I will have a month or so to work on it. By then, I should have a pretty good handle on the other 2 pieces and have time to work on the 3rd without too much worry. Hopefully..
Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Dave, that project of yours sounds pretty good... love the wind arrangements. Tell me if you're going over here for a show! Good cover bands are becoming quite the rage here, P-Floyd setting up The Wall in one of the major scenes, set in a magnificient old quarry, for instance.

Myself, I'm getting my teeth into Swiss bureaucracy. There's a lot of it, I realised. Just got some insurances needed. You also HAVE to have a computer to stay there. Which I do have, but you get an idea of the amount of papers I have to sign and send in, and many are in German...
Today is also the day that I'll send my old broken bow for the pieces to be put back together. And, I just ordered a new gigbag - from Nils Palm, the Swede that showed up here a while ago - which is at least of moderate quality, but still not too thick to fit inside my flight case, or so I hope.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Dave, that project of yours sounds pretty good... love the wind arrangements. Tell me if you're going over here for a show! Good cover bands are becoming quite the rage here, P-Floyd setting up The Wall in one of the major scenes, set in a magnificient old quarry, for instance.
The string and horn charts were done by a Nashville based arranger named John Hinchey - he's quite good.

Apparently some European promoters are willing to book Rewiring Genesis - but with a 12 piece band (plus crew, transportation, etc.) it will be a pretty expensive proposition. We'd love to play there, though!