Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road
Question Creaking bass.

I have a fully carved Christopher 502 that is strung with Bel Canti.
It plays really well and I love it. The problem I have is that it creaks - much like I imagine a sailing ship would. The creak seems to come when the bass is upright and pressure is applied to the L bit below the neck, or the back of the body. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I plan on doing some recording shortly and fear that it will sound like my bass has maritime rigging.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
I have a fully carved Christopher 502 that is strung with Bel Canti.
It plays really well and I love it. The problem I have is that it creaks - much like I imagine a sailing ship would. The creak seems to come when the bass is upright and pressure is applied to the L bit below the neck, or the back of the body. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I plan on doing some recording shortly and fear that it will sound like my bass has maritime rigging.
Maybe the endpin moving in the socket? Check that unless you find something loose inside or with the neck or actual neckblock fit inside the bass.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Maybe the endpin moving in the socket? Check that unless you find something loose inside or with the neck or actual neckblock fit inside the bass.
Thanks for your thoughts Ken. I've checked out the endpin pretty thoroughly. It's a bit of a mystery. I'll go and play it some more and maybe get my wife to apply a bit of pressure to the bass while I listen around.

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 12-31-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

If it seems like the endpin it might not be the socket - could be the bottom block. Do you use a wheel much?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Wayne and Thomas, thanks very much for your thoughts. I didn't really get around to getting my wife to hold the bass while I listened yesterday, but I'll certainly get onto it today - bearing in mind that it's Sunday morning and she's reading the Sunday paper in bed; a wise man never interrupts this activity.
I really do appreciate both your input and am thinking about what you have said.
Thanks again, I'll let you know as soon as I find anything.
Thomas, I don't use a wheel but it is a working bass and does unfortunately take the occasional bump.

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 01-01-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: editing.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
Richard, just watched you play on you tube- wow-impressive-you really get into your playing and the bass is moving a lot- I like that.. I noticed that the bow quiver moves a lot-leather straps can creak-also, you, as much as you play, with the constant shift on the end pin assembly would over time produce normal wear which could produce the creak. If any part of the assemply is loose and perhaps wasn't a good fit when installed, wear would happen sooner. I would look very closely at the end pin; the rod, the plug that goes in the block and the block itself-

Thanks for your you tube recording- I really enjoyed it - wish I could play like that-

Your friend playing the piano and trumpet at the same time- I hope others will check these out- very entertaining-how do you put words to that talent?

www.holmesbassviol.com
Wayne, I really appreciate your thoughts, and your kind words to an old guy about his playing. I've checked out the bow quiver, but it seems okay. I'm still working on finding that creak. Your thought about the movement is a very good one - I don't mean to move when I play, it just happens. That might be something I need to look at. Again, my friend, many thanks for your educated thoughts.
Hey, James Morrison is something else! And he's Australian!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Post Creak, what creak?

Wayne,
I feel guilty for taking so long to reply, because you have been so generous with your ideas and knowledge. I've spent that last three days trying to find the optimum sitting position, as this could be a way to minimise the noise for recording. I've tried all sorts of heights and finally decided that the best stool height is probably one that has the end pin at the same height for both sitting and standing - allowing easy cross over to both ways of playing.
The funny thing is that, today, the creaking seems to have disappeared. This has happened before, so I'm not holding my breath. Maybe I'm doing something different when I stand?
Thanks, my friend, I'll keep you updated when old Mr Creak returns.

Hey, if Edgar uses dots, they're okay by me. Personally I like my ear close to the string, but I'm not silly enough to argue wih him!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Temperature and humidity fluctuations could account for it coming and going if it is in fact a loose joint someplace.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

surprising no-one from slab side has jumped in with a recommendation to lube your nut. It's all the rage you know.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
surprising no-one from slab side has jumped in with a recommendation to lube your nut. It's all the rage you know.
well, i resist answering here with composing a new sentence that contains "creak" and "lube your nut"

(and i hope my english is good enough to make a play of words in your language)
Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
well, i resist answering here with composing a new sentence that contains "creak" and "lube your nut"

(and i hope my english is good enough to make a play of words in your language)
It is. And on behalf of all the readers of Ken's forum, thank you for resisting...
Old 01-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Can't I leave you guys alone for ten minutes?
My knees don't creak - they're probably the only part of me that still works properly!

"Temperature and humidity fluctuations could account for it coming and going if it is in fact a loose joint someplace. "
Thanks Thomas, I've been wondering this too.
I'll do more stand up practice today and see if the creak rears its ugly head again. If this happens, I'll try to locate it.

Please try and behave while I'm away!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
It is. And on behalf of all the readers of Ken's forum, thank you for resisting...
Thanks a lot dave.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Posting Member

it's so well behaved in here. Tea anyone?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

I've just done thirty minutes practicing/working out some C licks - standing (arco). I've been listening for creaks and swinging the bass around on purpose. No creaks today.
Okay, what have I changed? The only thing I've changed is my endpin height as I've experimented with various seating positions. It's obviously now back on the fourth notch (for standing).
There are only two variables:
1) The weather. It has been very hot Down here (NZ), probably with a fair bit of humidity. Today is a tiny bit cooler, with a wind from the southeast. Southerlies are the cold winds Down here (NZ).
2) My endpin. Normally, when I change the length of my endpin and get ready to play (weight on endpin), there is a little bump and the bass drops like the endpin screw is finding a position in the groove on the pin. I always stop and tighten the screw a little more and there is no more movement. Maybe there is a bit of play in the endpin that I'm not aware of? Maybe, just maybe, the position of the endpin screw could cause the creak?

Well, that's where I'm at. Perhaps I'll return to practice and the creak will decide to join me? Here's what I'll do - I won't unscrew my endpin again until I have to take the bass out (I think my next gig is around the 23rd). If the creak returns, it might look more like a weather thing. Still, if it does return, I'll try to locate it with someone else holding the bass. At least I should be able to rule out the endpin.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 01-08-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Cleaned up a bit.. still on or near topic!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Default Would you believe it?

The bloody creak is back! It returned after about an hour and a half of playing. I got my wife to hold the bass and make it creak (pushing on the that L shaped thing at the back of the neck) while I sniffed around. I can tell you that it's definitely not the end pin. It's somewhere in the body. Probably time to consult a local luthier.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry Matthew, we double bassists certainly are more refined. I've never thrown a TV set out of a hotel window.

Richard, sorry to hear about your creaking problem. It does sound like your solution might require professional help.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Posting Member

Terry McDougal is on a distinguished road

Bin, if you have any trouble with those bass guitar guys you just turn the power off at the wall.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Posting Member

Terry McDougal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Matt, I just read your profile. You're one of us. Sounded like you might be a bass guitarist for a while there.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Senior Posting Member

I was a bass guitarist for a while there! But quite a long time ago :-)