Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road
Cool Stenholm or Martin's Fawcett

Thinking about getting a Sten (as recommended by my teacher who's used one for years.) All the basses in the Toronto Symphony have Sten's and I love how practical they are, considering you don't have to reach above your head, so it seems good but I've heard these things can REALLY buzz and be noisy...Is there anyone out there with a Sten or Fawcett that doesn't have a buzz or rattle? Also, which do you prefer Stenholm or Fawcett? I'm not here to learn about Fingered/Capo Extensions. I've had one for several years and I'd much prefer something where I don't have to reach well above my head to play.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Gullen is on a distinguished road
Default Ex-Sten-sion...

Hi Calvin!

I have a Sten on my G.A. Pfretzschner. It was on my bass when I acquired it and don't know how long it's lived there. I'm guessing it's been on quite a while as the scroll was cut for the installation. I think the scroll is starting to grow back around it, though!

At the moment, I have no rattles or buzzes from it. It does require a bit of maintenance. Setting the tension of the axle....for lack of a better term...is crucial. If it's too tight it won't work smoothly (or latch) and if it's too loose, it rattles. Adjusting the tension is easy using a hex key...I don't remember the size at the moment, but it's a small one.

I actually have more trouble with the intonation of the extension. If the bridge tilts a bit, it throws the extension intonation off. You wouldn't notice on the other strings because you simply adjust for it with your finger placement. It doesn't get WAY off, but enough for me to notice occasionally.

I have no experience with a Fawcett, so I really can't comment on that one. If a Fawcett has a lever to lock the 'E' stop (rather than the Sten's latch) that might be slightly preferable. Unlatching my E results in a fairly loud "thunk"...it often startles one particular player whom I stand next to in a number of sections. He's asked me to call out "Fire in the hole!" before I unlatch it. It's not that bad..but I do try to unlatch duing forte passages or cello solos!

Hope this helps a little....

Best regards!
Jim