Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Old 12-15-2014, 01:24 AM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Fox is on a distinguished road
Default $200 1/2 size pawn shop score--carved (?) Framus

Happened on this today in the pawn shop where I always get into trouble. Brought it home for $200 including cheap bow and case. It's tagged "Georg Hellmer Copy of Stradivarius Made in West Germany" with the Framus logo. I think it's carved front and back, sides are very chewed up, lots and lots of repairs, and sounds, well, great!

Any thoughts as to region of origin, approximate vintage, value, etc? I really like it.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Framus

Made by Framus after WWII in Bavaria West Germany where they moved to from the German Czech border. You can Google their history.

A bass like this was about $200 in the 1960s so its ok. Same grade bass as those made for and imported by Juzek in New York. Edge repairs expertly done is difficult but worth it. Anything less and the value goes down.

There seems to be another label under the Framus label. If and when the bass is taken apart to be repaired, then maybe they can lift and separate both labels. This bass is still a factory German bass regardless of what else you find inside. Framus (Franconian Music etc) was formed in Germany by Fred Wilfer.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Fox is on a distinguished road

Ken, much obliged. If and when the top is removed for repairs, I'll have the luthier get under that Framus sticker and report back if warranted. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

I played a 3/4 version of this bass for many years. Mine was a hybrid with ply back and sides; judging from the wear pattern on the back edge, I'm guessing that this may be hybrid, too. Same mock-antiqued, semi-sunburst finish.

Mine had a long string length, somewhere in the 44" range. Mine also had a very thick top and didn't produce a lot of acoustic sound, but was a good jazz bass with a pickup. Well fitted and assembled, overall, and gave me no maintenance issues.