Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Default Bass feel question...

I was checking out an old hybrid bass yesterday. When I first played it pizz, it had a fairly loose feel, but after a while I started to lower the strings as they were high for me. As I lowered them gradually about 1/4 turn at a time, the strings started feeling stiffer/tighter to pull. Does this mean that the bass prefers a greater downward force (higher bridge) to get the looser feel? On this bass, to lower the string height off the fingerboard and keep the loose feel, would you change the neck angle? This bass also had a tiny overstand, but the bridge didn't look particularly short.

Have you experienced this kind of thing with any of your basses, Ken?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
I was checking out an old hybrid bass yesterday. When I first played it pizz, it had a fairly loose feel, but after a while I started to lower the strings as they were high for me. As I lowered them gradually about 1/4 turn at a time, the strings started feeling stiffer/tighter to pull. Does this mean that the bass prefers a greater downward force (higher bridge) to get the looser feel? On this bass, to lower the string height off the fingerboard and keep the loose feel, would you change the neck angle? This bass also had a tiny overstand, but the bridge didn't look particularly short.

Have you experienced this kind of thing with any of your basses, Ken?
In lowering the bridge did the bridge tilt forward when you tightened the strings?

Also, in shopping for a bass, if it is a hybrid and the neck needs to be re-set, walk away. It might not be worth the trouble. Doing that job right is expensive.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

I didn't look at the bridge angle after tightening the strings, good point. Yes, I did walk. The bass is owned by a friend who is retiring and I didn't know it was a hybrid until I showed up. It had serious mojo to the sound, but it needs work!