Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 02-24-2007, 03:46 AM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

I'm heartened to see so many players using solid state kit. I have a DVD compilation of soul bands on the Later With Jools Holland show screened here in the UK and all the Smith players are using SWR or Aguilar.

I've had issues with SWR and Eden heads (apart from the WT400) because they both have moderate scoops in the upper mids to my ears which means I can't hear the pitch very well. I also went through a crazy phase which resulted in me putting together this:

It weighed about 45kg and I thought it was the b*ll*x until I actually had to lift it upstairs to the first gig I had with my current band. Suffice to say it left me a broken man! So I sold the Trace Elliot MP-11 and the Strategy now powers my hifi .

Later I also sold the Eden WT800...

and bought...

...a pair of Gallien Krueger RB700 1x15 combos.

I know this isn't the first choice of soul/RnB bass players but I played an RB400 combo at a venue once and it was a complete revelation. I could hear the thup of my fingers leaving the strings and the fretless just filled the room with mwah. Can I say 'love at first sight?'

The one thing that made the GK amps shine was taht they didn't exhibit an upper mid dip or any kind of extreme colouring. I've found there are so many amps out there that are coloured to make jazz basses sound better (Mark bass and SWR heads for example) and I'm happy that GK aren't like that. If anything, their colouring is upper mid focussed which helps with pitching on the Smith fretless tremendously. I can also use my other basses through the amps without feeling like I've sacrificed anything in getting an amp that works well with the Smiths. I can't say the same for those amps that are coloured for jazz basses.

I also have a pair of old valve Burman Pro4000 70's heads which I love playing the Smiths through and the Boogie Bass400+ was also superb. I also got good results from an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 once. Valves seem to compliment the fatness of Smith basses nicely - almost in the same way as with my old Musicman basses.

But because I play mostly small-medium gigs in the city and parking/unloading can be a total nightmare. There are occasions I can't face carrying a 25kg head all the way from the car up/down a flight of narrow stairs to a venue. At least the RB700 combos I use have wheels and a load of handles even if they weigh the same.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Wink Amps Used

Amp's/Cab's used:

QSC PLX 3602 w/Alembic F2B Pre-amp

Eden Amp's: WT800, WT550, WT400
Eden Cab's: 210XST, 410XLT, and 115XLT

Ampeg Amp: SVT III Pro
Ampeg Cag: 610HLF
Old 03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Junior Posting Member

Gareth Morgan is on a distinguished road

Hi folks

I mix and match...

Small gigs: Epifani PS600 > one Epifani PS112

Medium gigs: Epifani PS600 > two Epifani PS112s

Large gigs: Epifani Quest > Peavey DPC1400X > Epifani T212 (original side by side version). Usually bridged to put 1400 watts into the cab!

VERY large gigs: Quest > Peavey > T212 on one side of the amp and the two PS112s on the other side. 700 watts a side.

What can I say.... I like Epifani

Cheers

Gareth
Old 03-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Default My Actual Ampeg Rig

I'm showcasing my actual rig in this post, my previous post on this thread has the illustrations from Ampeg.
The photo is of the Ampeg SVT Classic 300 Watt all tube head, the SVT Classic 810E bass cab and the 410HLF bass cab.

Last edited by Albert Smith; 03-02-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Include item Description
Old 03-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Posting Member

That's a good set-up Albert. Do you run direct? I use to use the 410HLF (nice cab) but ended up upgrading to the 610HLF only because it carried more weight in the house mix.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
That's a good set-up Albert. Do you run direct? I use to use the 410HLF (nice cab) but ended up upgrading to the 610HLF only because it carried more weight in the house mix.
Thank you Tim, it took me a while to put this together. I played through numerous combinations of heads and cabinets before settling down with the Ampeg rig. But to answer your question I do run direct, but do you have any suggestions, I'm always inquisitive when it comes to fine tuning my sound.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

since we're posting pics of our rigs:

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 03-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Well, when it comes to bass, you can NEVER have enough headroom!

At church I currently use my Eden WT-550 as a DI (no cab; don't need it; will explain later). IMO, this gives the Sound-man all he needs for bass (post EQ) and with us being on Avioms, keeps the stage volume controlled.

We are all on Avioms and in-ears. Our Worship Leader, Drummer, and myself went to an audiologist and had ear molds made for custom fitted in-ears made by Ultimate Ears. Everyone else uses Shure E5's.

I never thought I would be able to break away from my on-stage rig, however, with a little work, I have grown to adapt to the in-ears and the convenience you get with Avioms: I love mixing what I want to hear in my ear and not having to fight to get the attention of the Sound-man to attend to my needs. More importantly, I love not having to carry all that weight with the "big rig".

Now don't get me wrong, where the convenience of Avioms, great sound system, a Sound-man with an ear, etc. are not available, my newest favorite rig is my QCS PLX3602 w/Alembic F2-B Pre-amp and whatever Eden Cabs I choose for the room.

The PLX3602 bridged into 4OHMS has an output of 3600W. While I may never use all that power, I will have all the headroom I will need and oh my, by far my favorite rig set-up!!! I've yet to hear anything that sounds this great! I still love my Eden and Amped rigs, however, can't touch this!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-11-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Posting Member

Roy Diza is on a distinguished road

I go through a SWR Redhead with a Schroeder MINI12 extention cabinet. I also have an Ampeg SVT6Pro, which I'm in the market for a real good light weight cab I can match it with. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Diza View Post
I go through a SWR Redhead with a Schroeder MINI12 extention cabinet. I also have an Ampeg SVT6Pro, which I'm in the market for a real good light weight cab I can match it with. Anybody have any suggestions?
Match it to the Ampeg Classic Series 410HLF I'm sure you'll be pleased.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Junior Posting Member

Bill Bernhard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
I'm heartened to see so many players using solid state kit. I have a DVD compilation of soul bands on the Later With Jools Holland show screened here in the UK and all the Smith players are using SWR or Aguilar.

I've had issues with SWR and Eden heads (apart from the WT400) because they both have moderate scoops in the upper mids to my ears which means I can't hear the pitch very well. I also went through a crazy phase which resulted in me putting together this:

It weighed about 45kg and I thought it was the b*ll*x until I actually had to lift it upstairs to the first gig I had with my current band. Suffice to say it left me a broken man! So I sold the Trace Elliot MP-11 and the Strategy now powers my hifi .

Later I also sold the Eden WT800...

and bought...

...a pair of Gallien Krueger RB700 1x15 combos.

I know this isn't the first choice of soul/RnB bass players but I played an RB400 combo at a venue once and it was a complete revelation. I could hear the thup of my fingers leaving the strings and the fretless just filled the room with mwah. Can I say 'love at first sight?'

The one thing that made the GK amps shine was taht they didn't exhibit an upper mid dip or any kind of extreme colouring. I've found there are so many amps out there that are coloured to make jazz basses sound better (Mark bass and SWR heads for example) and I'm happy that GK aren't like that. If anything, their colouring is upper mid focussed which helps with pitching on the Smith fretless tremendously. I can also use my other basses through the amps without feeling like I've sacrificed anything in getting an amp that works well with the Smiths. I can't say the same for those amps that are coloured for jazz basses.

I also have a pair of old valve Burman Pro4000 70's heads which I love playing the Smiths through and the Boogie Bass400+ was also superb. I also got good results from an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 once. Valves seem to compliment the fatness of Smith basses nicely - almost in the same way as with my old Musicman basses.

But because I play mostly small-medium gigs in the city and parking/unloading can be a total nightmare. There are occasions I can't face carrying a 25kg head all the way from the car up/down a flight of narrow stairs to a venue. At least the RB700 combos I use have wheels and a load of handles even if they weigh the same.
Is that a Yamaha E1005 ****og Delay in the rack? I've had one since the late '70's, I think it's one of the best fretless sweeteners there is. I haven't found anything I like as much. I'm too lazy to take it out to gigs anymore, but I do miss it.

Anyhow, I'm currently in love with amp modeling, Line 6 Bass Pod Live, and a variety of power amps and cabinets depending on venue. These are for stage monitoring, POD goes to FOH.
Bill
Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bernhard View Post
Is that a Yamaha E1005 ****og Delay in the rack? I've had one since the late '70's, I think it's one of the best fretless sweeteners there is. I haven't found anything I like as much. I'm too lazy to take it out to gigs anymore, but I do miss it.
Hi Bill, it certainly is a Yammy E1005

A certain Mr Mark King used its later cousin the E1010 when he was with the original Level 42. I bought mine originally just for kicks when I run my Jaydee Supernatural with one side dry and one side wet (similar to the Roland JC120 Chorus guitar amp) its lush sounding.

I have to be careful when I use it with the Smith fretless because it does boost a select band of lower mids a little too much, but with my Pentabuzz its lush. Nice old school warm ****ogue sound. I'd like to get my hands on a E1010 at some point as it has rack ears but I've seen a couple go for startling amounts on Ebay since Christmas...
Old 03-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Glenn DiTommaso

Depending on the gig, it's either this:

Walter Woods "Sweeper" (1993) and Epifani UL112

or this:

Epifani UL502 with UL210 and T115
Old 03-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
Match it to the Ampeg Classic Series 410HLF I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Are those pretty light weight? I would be nice to have something less than 40lbs, considering the SVTPro6 is about 40 lbs already.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Are those pretty light weight? I would be nice to have something less than 40lbs, considering the SVTPro6 is about 40 lbs already.
Actually the 410HLF isn't bad weight wise, I find it fairly easy to lug around for the smaller gigs. It has a built in tow bar and industrial size wheels to aide in transporting.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn DiTommaso View Post
Depending on the gig, it's either this:

Walter Woods "Sweeper" (1993) and Epifani UL112

or this:

Epifani UL502 with UL210 and T115
Glen, could you explain what it is about the Epifani sound that has obvious got you hooked on their line of bass cabs?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
Before you can know how good your electric bass can sound, it has to be run through a really good amp.
Mmmm, not necessarily. Sometime just playing the bass unplugged and allowing the ear to hear what the woods contribute is a great starting point. Then (provided the electronics are top notch) everything else is just icing on the cake; that is if the Amp. and Cabs. are sweet enough.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Glen, could you explain what it is about the Epifani sound that has obvious got you hooked on their line of bass cabs?

Al, you read my mind! Since signing up here I've read (and seen) many of the guys here lauding Epifani gear.

I'm down here in San Antonio, and haven't seen or heard it, but I'm thinking it must be good for all of these fellas to be preaching about it (we're mostly Eden, SWR, Ampeg folks down here)! Now, I know a couple of associates who use Bergantino gear. What do ya'll know about Bergantino?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Actually the 410HLF isn't bad weight wise, I find it fairly easy to lug around for the smaller gigs. It has a built in tow bar and industrial size wheels to aide in transporting.

Are you serious? LOL. Probably a wire harness for the breaklights also
Old 03-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Are you serious? LOL. Probably a wire harness for the breaklights also
I'm very serious, its not as heavy as people think and the sound is out of this world.