Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Mark Bass - LM II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
I used the Mark Bass head, LMKII, + Bag End 4x10 cabinet + Ken Smith BMT G 6-string bass. I had more than enough power with the LMKII running 300 watts with an 8Ohmn load from the cabinet.

I do understand one of the "requirements" is for a USA model - however - do not overlook the Itailian made amp - that only weighs 6.5 pounds.

The Smith tone was shining brightly with this amp. I ran it almost flat with little EQ for a full rich tone that the other band memebers noticed in a positive way.

In conclusion, do not overlook this model - a lot of players are converting.
Just picked up a Mark Bass LM II:

At a little over 6 Lbs, the LM II can flat bring it! This was my initial 30 minute LM II test-drive:

I ran the LM II into my Eden 212XLT(8) and 410XLT(8) Cab's. With EQ flat and Gain set at around 9 O'Clock to spark the Limiter.....(that is, with my Smith set flat and volume maxed); set VLE and VPF filters Off initially; turn up Master (somewhere around noon for starters) to get what I wanted out of the Cabs. Then, experimented with the VLE and VPF Filters. For starters, I adjusted the VPF Filter to around noon or so (I think this Filter is key to dialing in a great tone). The VPF Filter adds the highs needed for definition, shape, and clarity. The VLE Filter cuts Mids and I didn't care for that initially, so, after a few adjustments, I opted to leave it Off as it is the Mids where Bass gets it's definition and ability to "cut" through the mix. The results with my Smith BT5EG were very impressive: Very tight bass response with cutting mids with highs that sweetened up the total mix. I found that with the LM II, I didn't need to adjust EQ much beyond Flat, if any. With the LM II EQ set Flat, the EQ adjustments from my Smith gave me all the control I needed.

Overall, the LM II is a great Bass Amp and I would certainly recommend it to anyone wanting a 6.5 lb amp delivering a tight and punchy 500W at 4-Ohms. I don't think any bassist would be disappointed.

As a comparison of power, tone, and the ability to drive the Cabs, I A/B'd the LM II with my Eden WT-550. At 4-Ohms the comparison is more "apples-to-apples" as both amps deliver 500W. Set flat, I noticed similarities in tone, power and the ability to drive 2 8-ohm Cabs and get it done!

Again, the LM II is VERY impressive and was right there with the WT-550, but this would be where the comparison ended as there is simply more flexibility and options with the WT-550. While the WT-550 is heavier (20 lbs), it does have a few more VERY nice features. For example: A tube Pre-amp, Semi-Parametric EQ, Compression and an option to reach 750W at 2-Ohms (just to name a few). This is a big deal! Particularly, when it comes to using multiple Cabs to push the air needed to get it done. This is where the WT-550 is superior to the LM II, BUT, considering the weight, power, tone, ease of use, and price of the LM II; this is an amp that is getting some attention for obvious reasons. I think as these amps get more exposure and continue to invade the market (as we are beginning to see through Guitar Center), Eden will see some competition from Mark Bass.

Finally.......For me, all things being equal, the LM II will most likely be a keeper and a quality Bass Amp I think any bass player owes it to himself to try out.

Additionally, in a closer comparison, as far as size-to-size, weight-to-weight, dollar-to-dollar, power-to-power, tone-to-tone comparison's go, I would choose the compact 3.8 lb. Eden WTX-260 over the LM II due to the even-more compact size. With the tone, power to drive Cabs at 4-Ohms, and incredible DI w/DI Level Control (among other nice options), the Eden WTX-260 is one you don't want to overlook. Try it and see.