Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up KSB Major News..

A brand new Website is in the works now for Ken Smith Basses.

Along with the new 'site I am making some new models and re-naming, modifying and merging some others as well. This is all within the Neck-thru models.

After doing some marketing research I noticed that the most popular models are the Elite series and the Black Tiger series. One model version we have made for Japan in the past was nick-named 'White Tiger'. This was basically the reverse of the Black Tiger model in the wood mixing and combinations.

Many of the GN, MS and Elite models sold in the last few years are basically the same wood combinations as used in the Black Tiger models as well as its new sister version, the White Tiger. I have decided to make a combined 'Series' of models called 'The Tiger Series'. These will be available in the same combinations as before with the addition of the 3-pc Maple/Walnut and Walnut/Maple MS series basses we have been making for the last few years. They will be called the 'Standard' Tigers, Black Tiger or White Tiger Standard coded as TNS or WTS. The Black Tiger code has always been in Latin 'Tigre' Negro' aka TN so as not to be confused with out older BT model which stood for Bass/Treble when it first came in in 1981 and now called our Vintage BT shape. Putting the prefix letters TN in reverse in Latin instead of BT has helped to avoid confusion.

There will be the new model name Standard for an MS-like bass, the Pro model name for the current and original Black Tiger and the Elite of the TNE which is only a few years younger than the original TN/Black Tiger models.

Because we are grouping all of the Maple/Walnut and Walnut/Maple models together as a series, 'Chocolate/Vanilla' as I call it generically, they will not be offered in the MS, GN or Elite models as they would be re-directed by name into the Tiger series. Quilted Maple topped basses are not included in this model merger. Walnut and Tiger Maple top/back basses using our other core woods will be available as non-Tiger models where ever they fall within the current new models.

For the GN, MS and EG models that have been separate in the past will now be grouped together as 'The Exotic Series' models as these are not sandwiched with domestic Tiger Maples and Walnuts combined. This series will also have 3 grades as well. The Standard X, Pro X and Elite X, 'X' standing for Exotic. I am adding Exotic to the prefix because the laminated basses are to be made with other body wood combinations that will not include the 'Chocolate/Vanilla' mixed flavors. One exception will be Quilted Maple over Walnut. Same flavor but different figure pattern. The other exception will be the Standard X (formerly MS) which will offer all the solid body materials we have available 'including' Tiger Maple and Black Walnut but not laminated. Just one or the other as solid Body wings as offered in the past.

Also to be added and used in the Tiger Series in the Walnuts is Western/Claro figured Walnuts and in the Maples, our Western, British Columbian and some stocks of other flamed Maples I have collected over the years. These woods range from 10-20 years old since they were cut and dried. Basically, my private stock is coming out of storage. Laminated 5-pc wings in Maple/Maple or Walnut/Walnut or 3-pc Maple/Mahogany or Walnut/Mahogany will fall into the Exotic/X line.

In reviewing my wood usages recently and well as in past reviews over the years, Figured Maples and Walnuts have shown to make up the bulk of the Basses we have made. We are basically (did I say Bass-ic-ly?) a 'Chocolate/Vanilla' Bass body maker. With all of the exotics we have offered over the last 30 years, over 80% of what we get requests for have been some combination of Maple and or Walnut.

To celebrate our success with these two beautiful woods, it's time to give them their own page. Don't you agree?

There are only a few other minor changes to the models but until the the new website is up I will wait to announce them. Prices, if you're wondering will stay for the most part the same with only a few slight increases on some models that reflect our costs.

The biggest change will be the look and ease of navigation of the new Website that Mike is working on. Jon, my older boy is also working with his brother Mike on the modern concepts and the Artist/Musicians pages adding clips and Bio's to those that they can look up.

As far as pictures go for the Basses, I will have to borrow most of them from the current website and place them where they fall model-wise. The 5-pc necks with Bubinga have been replaced by Shedua features within the last year or so. The first 3 White Tiger Elites we are just completing used the last of the Bubinga featured necks we had. Eventually, we will have all new and current pictures of the entire line of Basses. Until then, and it wont be as soon as some would like, please be patient.

I know many of you have questions so ask away. I will do my best to answer them but some information is being kept close to the vest (as they say) until all the ink dries on the new Website.