Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 04-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road
Default Adhesive question

I think I know the answer to this already, but I'm asking anyway.

On TB there is an active thread discussing the repair of a chipped tailpiece. Here it is:
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535525

I was surprised to see repairmen discussing the use of epoxy with regard to this repair, but I became astonished when one of them referenced using epoxy to repair a neck! The repairman did not mention what kind of neck repair, but I'm assuming he's referring to a Kay-style heel break.

I'm not a luthier, but I though that I knew what was in and what was out when it came to some repair techniques. Using epoxy for a neck repair seems out to me. Is epoxy a reasonable option for structural repairs?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

I think there is a place for epoxy in instrument repair. If the broken part is not something that needs to be disassembled in the future, and epoxy will make the repair strong (and save money), I think it's fine. This assumes we're talking about slow-cure epoxy, not the 5-minute kind, which never totally hardens.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, Arnold. I learn something new everyday.

Now I'm done for the day.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Junior Posting Member

Robert Anzellotti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I think there is a place for epoxy in instrument repair. If the broken part is not something that needs to be disassembled in the future, and epoxy will make the repair strong (and save money), I think it's fine. This assumes we're talking about slow-cure epoxy, not the 5-minute kind, which never totally hardens.
I don't disagree with Arnold, but want to add that with epoxy you only get one chance. I once repaired a broken scroll (it broke right where it met the neck) on a student's 1/4 size plywood. The local violin shop looked at it and said they would use epoxy. I decided to fix it myself (I'm no luthier!) but decided on hide glue. It was an excellent decision. The clamping jig I devised failed miserably on the first try. Had I used epoxy, the neck would have been firewood at this point. As it was, the third time was the charm, and the repair holds to this day!