Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 04-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Posting Member

Flint Buchanan is on a distinguished road
Default Pirastro-Evah Pirazzi

I've started this thread for anyone who gets a the first sets that come out.

I'm very interested in these, especially as compared to their cousins-Obligatos.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Posting Member

Marcus Johnson is on a distinguished road

I'm putting a set on today, I'll get back to you. I'm an ex- Obligator.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Posting Member

Marcus Johnson is on a distinguished road

Okay, played the first gig last night, an unamplified duo. When compared to Obligatos, the Pirazzis feel much more substantial, slightly higher in tension. They feel quite a bit like Olivs to me. No roll at all. Nice strong fundamental when pizzed, and very even throughout their range. Just bigger overall sound than Oblis. The E may be slightly lacking at this point, but I need to give them a chance to get used to the bass and vice versa. Maybe play with the string height a bit.

I can't address the orchestral arco issue, but my early impressions of the jazz arco capabilities are very positive. Lovely, complex tone, and they respond very quickly on my bass. I actually found myself looking forward to bowing improvised solos, and going for ideas that I might have balked at on other strings. I'm looking forward to exploiting this aspect of these strings.

I think they're a winner. They aren't Olivs, but they're pretty close for a fraction of the price. We'll see how it pans out, I have lots of gigging and recording coming up.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

Charles Federle is on a distinguished road

Pirastro sent me a set to test yesterday, put a set on last night. For my bass they are nice and dark, and a decent response once they got enough rosin on them. Also a very loud string with good punch, I do also like how well they reflect accents (both left and right hand). Compared to the Bel Cantos and Orig Flexs they are much thicker. Going to try them out in the real world here soon and hopefully they will be a string I am very happy with.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Federle View Post
Pirastro sent me a set to test yesterday, put a set on last night. For my bass they are nice and dark, and a decent response once they got enough rosin on them. Also a very loud string with good punch, I do also like how well they reflect accents (both left and right hand). Compared to the Bel Cantos and Orig Flexs they are much thicker. Going to try them out in the real world here soon and hopefully they will be a string I am very happy with.
This is a Bowing String mainly?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Junior Posting Member

Charles Federle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
This is a Bowing String mainly?
For me they are, though it seems to be fairly popular with those using gut as well (for pizz). I keep meaning to try them out and see how they are pizzwise, but I keep getting distracted. Granted I am most likely not the best person to judge a string's pizz qualities.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Posting Member

Martin Sheridan is on a distinguished road
Default solo for regular

I'm deleting this to start a new thread re: solo string set for less tension. See new thread. Thank you.

Last edited by Martin Sheridan; 03-27-2009 at 09:04 PM.