Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 01-12-2011, 01:07 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Question *original* original Flexocores?

So I have had some of these old Flexocores for a long time now, and like them a lot - but, I'm not sure if they really are different from the current strings (in construction) or just "well aged". I think the matter has been discussed in passing here before, but I've never seen/heard what the deal is for sure -

Anyway, I guess they're the "Flexocores" that were made before the move to "Original Flexocores" and the Flexocore 92s? These have blueish-purple silk like today's Originals top and bottom, with an extra spiral of fine silver wire at the top. The D also has a bit of red silk at the tip. I have not measured them, but I would say they both feel and sound about halfway between the current Originals and the 92s in terms of thickness and darkness; they really do seem, somehow, to be a different string than either, though.

Anybody know - What are these strings, and how do they compare with the Flexocores we know today?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
So I have had some of these old Flexocores for a long time now, and like them a lot - but, I'm not sure if they really are different from the current strings (in construction) or just "well aged". I think the matter has been discussed in passing here before, but I've never seen/heard what the deal is for sure -

Anyway, I guess they're the "Flexocores" that were made before the move to "Original Flexocores" and the Flexocore 92s? These have blueish-purple silk like today's Originals top and bottom, with an extra spiral of fine silver wire at the top. The D also has a bit of red silk at the tip. I have not measured them, but I would say they both feel and sound about halfway between the current Originals and the 92s in terms of thickness and darkness; they really do seem, somehow, to be a different string than either, though.

Anybody know - What are these strings, and how do they compare with the Flexocores we know today?
These may have been made in USA from what I have heard locally. When that person retired, the production went back to Germany and Pirastro had to figure it out all again, hence, 92s and Originals what ever they were trying to do.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Senior Posting Member

Interesting that Pirastro wouldn't have the "recipe" for their own strings - makes me wonder if they weren't outsourced or something... always something odd from the string industry, it would seem...

Thanks Ken for the input.

Anybody sitting on these strings NOS and want to let some go for cruelty-free testing?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Interesting that Pirastro wouldn't have the "recipe" for their own strings - makes me wonder if they weren't outsourced or something... always something odd from the string industry, it would seem...

Thanks Ken for the input.

Anybody sitting on these strings NOS and want to let some go for cruelty-free testing?
I was told by Paul Biase that Scherl & Roth (who is now merged Glaesel) made these Strings in the USA and when they stopped, Pirastro had to figure it out and didn't have the American metals used.

In foreign countries, it is not uncommon for a product to be made there like Coca~Cola or Ford for instance that makes in other countries for convenience and profit.

When I sent them back an old set they didn't seem to know exactly what they were but did say they were from before 1980. They looking to be like a heavy gauge of the 92s but not identical to the Stark 92s sold now of the original flexocor.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

The Coca-Cola ****ogy makes sense I suppose - I hadn't considered that they'd do that with a product as small and easy to transport as strings. I guess we didn't always have the interwebs and next-day airmail though eh? heheh...