Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Default Tuner Hole Repair ?

After a visit to my luthier yesterday, he discovered that one of the receiving tuner shaft holes had worn away to the point where there is too much play for stability. He suggested filling the extra space with some kind of epoxy and shaping as opposed to plugging the hole with wood and boring. I'm assuming that would be a more costly operation. The bass is a 100 year old shop German.

Any comments on using this technique?

Last edited by Eric Hochberg; 06-29-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
After a visit to my luthier yesterday, he discovered that one of the receiving tuner shaft holes had worn away to the point where there is too much play for stability. He suggested filling the extra space with some kind of epoxy and shaping as opposed to plugging the hole with wood and boring. I'm assuming that would be a more costly operation. The bass is a 100 year old shop German.

Any comments on using this technique?
Yes, do it right. Plug and re-bush or if possible, shim with maple slices like veneer. My Mougenot had a worn Tuner hole on the D-string near the gear. I shimmed it with 2 curved layers of maple veneer overlapping each other and glued them in place. When I gave it to Jeff Bollbach to restore I had him look over my temporary repair as the Worm was digging in to the Gear bracket before my repair. Looking at it now, I can't tell if he re-did my repair, just touched it up or let it stand. The Gear works the same now as when I had fixed it before the restoration. No epoxy repairs, please. If you go to a professional, get a professional job done. If this were your shoemaker, I could understand the hobby-shop approach. I think the title 'Luthier' should stand on its own and with integrity.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Posting Member

Thanks, Ken. Hobbyshop, indeed!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool but also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
Thanks, Ken. Hobbyshop, indeed!
We must also look at some facts here. German Shop basses were made in quantity because of demand and because they COULD make the basses in a shop or factory-type environment. This was not the case in England or Italy where the more expensive basses came from or at least are priced accordingly now.

The other factor is that Germany, England and France had a good local or easily obtainable wood supply as exhibited from what they made in those periods. Italy on the other hand imported their better woods and used what was available locally on some of the instruments and on many of the basses that look less than beautiful wood-wise. The tone however is another story as many of these ugly ducklings are the best instruments on the world.

Getting back to the 'Shop' Basses of Germany, these are made with good wood, figured and un-figured in the back and sides and top woods of even grained spruce on average. Many of them were made 'on the cheap' as far as graduations within themselves and bass bars that are either integral, or poorly sized. Having a bass made with good wood, you have half the problem solved. The other half however is more expensive. Take the bass apart and re-graduate the plates as well as re-build everything else and you will have in the end, Italian-like dimensions made from German wood.

I have seen this done and the results were amazing. Usually, a bass with a sound that's 2-4x its quality in pedigree value and in good repair order in as well the end.

So in closing, do not take for granted a German Shop bass. The way in which it was made and the results unaltered is 'Not' all it can be!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Take the bass apart and re-graduate the plates as well as re-build everything else and you will have in the end, Italian-like dimensions made from German wood.

I have seen this done and the results were amazing. Usually, a bass with a sound that's 2-4x its quality in pedigree value and in good repair order in as well the end.

So in closing, do not take for granted a German Shop bass. The way in which it was made and the results unaltered is 'Not' all it can be!
Thanks for this info, as I have been thinking about this for my "Juzek". Might be a cost effective way to get into a higher level instrument, and I get to keep a bass that's been with me 30 years.