Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Old 07-23-2015, 03:48 PM
Junior Posting Member

Magda Herman is on a distinguished road
Default "Made in Czechoslovakia" - any ideas?

Hi,

My husband and I bought a new-old double bass. There is still some work to be done (cracks and setup), but it has really nice warm sound.

The seller said it was late 1930s, but I don't suppose so. He got it from his father. Although, I am not an expert (not even a begginer in this field) and that's way I'm looking for some info from you.

It has some cracks on ribs and I think this part is solid wood, the rest is plywood. It is a flatback. Inside, there is a label "Made in Czechoslovakia".

I would be great if anyone could help to identificate this bass.

The first link - my photos:

http://s908.photobucket.com/user/magdalen89/library/

Seller's photos:
http://www.galerieallegro.pl/zdjecia...5751412/1#zdj3
Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

I think this is a Framus but pre-Framus which was Fred Wilfer. His shop was across the German border in Schoenbach which is in Czech. Around 1946 after the war, he moved to Bavaria Germany.

It's in the Framus History;
http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/site/site.php

Because it says made in Czech., people easily discount the Framus connection. Framus was the company name made up by Franz (Fred) Wilfer. Franconian Music Company. He arranged to bring over all the Luthiers to Bavaria from behind the Communist controlled Bohemian area after the war.

I would say it's from the Franz Wilfer shop c.1930s. The 'Made in' means it was made and labeled for export possibly to USA or the UK.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:50 AM
Junior Posting Member

Magda Herman is on a distinguished road
Smile Thank you!!!

Thank you so much for your post! Well, that's great! The bass sounds nice and I'm sure that after some repairs by a luthier it'll be even better. That means that it was a bargain too.
I supposed it is Framus-like and ppl from other forum also said so. But I dismissed this option after seeing the label. Thank you for all information and the link. Now I can make more detailed research about it's history on my own.