Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 07-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols
Default GN vs EG

There is a video on YouTube from Bass freq of a guy demoing a BSR5GN in Quilted Maple/Walnut. That bass sounds phenomenal and is now my target, except that I will get a 5EG. My question is will a 5EG differ in tone drastically? Being that the 5GN hit the tone on the head, will I lose by getting a 5EG?
Old 07-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
There is a video on YouTube from Bass freq of a guy demoing a BSR5GN in Quilted Maple/Walnut. That bass sounds phenomenal and is now my target, except that I will get a 5EG. My question is will a 5EG differ in tone drastically? Being that the 5GN hit the tone on the head, will I lose by getting a 5EG?
Here are the two main differences between the GN and EG.

1, the finish is Laq on the EG and oil/var in the GN.

2, the EG has a 5pc body as opposed to the 3pc GN.

Sound differences.. MY opinion for what it's worth; I play every bass before it goes out and I do the final set-up so that totals well over 6,000 basses. I have opinions about the sound from that short time on my bench with each bass and in my hands just before I put it in the case. First impressions mainly. Also, I play most of the older basses that come in for set-up and mods that are broken in already. Some a year or less old and some 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or more years old. My opinions are the same about these differences regardless of the age..

3pc vs 5pc regardless of finish; If the model and woods are the same which is a close comparison because no two woods or groups of woods glued up are ever exactly the same. The 5pc sounds tighter and brighter and the 3pc sounds wider or slightly deeper or warmer, earthy.. What ever you wanna call it. More lams is more deflection of tone and sound and/or more colors of sound/tone with the vibrations bouncing and changing direction rather than a solid 1 piece of wood construction.

On the finish; the Laq acts as a micro thin lamination on top but the surface is hard and brightens up the bass. If the exact same bass was an oil/fin, then it would be slightly wider, warmer, deeper, earthier.. etc.. as I described about the lams above.

So, a GN vs an EG we have both of these differences so, the differences are about twice as much than if only one change is made.

Night quite apples and oranges but red apples and yellow apples..

All these differences are slight. I feel more or as much as I hear thru the amp. This is an electric bass and not a violin played acoustically so mostly YOU will hear or feel these subtle differences more than anyone listening.

Now, change the wood combos and we can write a whole new book.. lol

Des., you can always just get one of each, right?
Old 07-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Posting Member

One of each is a good idea, but I would feel like im cheating myself by getting the same woods. Thats why I never got a TNE.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
One of each is a good idea, but I would feel like im cheating myself by getting the same woods. That's why I never got a TNE.
Ok, your TN is oil/varnish and your EG Lacquer with Cocobolo I recall. Less differences than between those two. One's a 5 and one's a 6 as well. Even mopre different as the 6 has more mass in the neck.

Decisions decisions..
Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Posting Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=umlkVxQR1qQ

This video is awesome. It is a BSR5GN Quilted Maple over Walnut. Would the sound be noticeably different had this been an EG model?
Old 07-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb ??>>

Quote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=umlkVxQR1qQ

This video is awesome. It is a BSR5GN Quilted Maple over Walnut. Would the sound be noticeably different had this been an EG model?
First off he says a 7pc neck but it is a 5pc neck. You don't count the body-to-neck feature pieces. They are not part of the neck.

In my experience when I play the same models/woods in Laq/EG or Oil/GN style, I find the Oil/GN model slightly thicker and warmer but the EG/Laq model is quicker in response and slightly brighter sounding.

That is if both have 5pc body wings and all else the same. If the GN is a 3pc body, then the difference will be slightly more between them.