Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Yankee and Vintage American Basses

Old 12-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Junior Posting Member

Carl Egbert is on a distinguished road
Default Info on Calvin Baker/Asa White

Looking for info on these two makers. I know that they made instruments in New England, and that Baker was a student of White, but that's about it. Anybody know anything? Searching hasn't turned up anything of note.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Egbert View Post
Looking for info on these two makers. I know that they made instruments in New England, and that Baker was a student of White, but that's about it. Anybody know anything? Searching hasn't turned up anything of note.
I have seen a Baker in the Elgar book and also a White in person. Small 3/4 gamba bass. Nothing special. The Baker is of a similar outline. Both Germanic in style.

Why do you ask?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Junior Posting Member

http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=2193

I asked for opinions on the possible origin of this bass about 16 months ago; the conclusion that a few people came to was "probably German." I've taken the instrument to several luthiers since then, and they've all said "probably French." However, the bass had to have many cracks repaired and a new bass bar put in after a little accident (thank god for insurance) and this label was discovered when the top was taken off...

http://imgur.com/BRLvAte

Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Default humm..

Quote:
http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=2193

I asked for opinions on the possible origin of this bass about 16 months ago; the conclusion that a few people came to was "probably German." I've taken the instrument to several luthiers since then, and they've all said "probably French." However, the bass had to have many cracks repaired and a new bass bar put in after a little accident (thank god for insurance) and this label was discovered when the top was taken off...

http://imgur.com/BRLvAte

So maybe it is American, same period as thought German or French and the wood on the back of all 3 basses do look slightly American, broad flamed Sugar Maple. Like Prescott and others had access to back then. So it might be a Baker. The one in the Elgar book only shows the Top, not the back.

Baker worked for Asa White in the beginning and then went out on his own eventually. if it says Baker, then it is Baker, not White. If so, it brings to close the mystery or 3 basses but, I think that the one I saw at Arnold's was the same bass from Chicago, just removed from there at that time. That makes it 2-basses, not 3 of this pattern.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Junior Posting Member

Another possibility is that it's a factory French or German instrument that Baker imported and put his own label on.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If so, it brings to close the mystery or 3 basses but, I think that the one I saw at Arnold's was the same bass from Chicago, just removed from there at that time. That makes it 2-basses, not 3 of this pattern.
Michael Cahill showed up in the last thread with pics of his own bass, so his + mine + the Chicago one make 3 total. I would be curious to know if the other two have the same label... might be time to send out some emails. The one in mine was extremely faded, as you can see from the picture, which is why I never knew it was there until the top came off.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
Another possibility is that it's a factory French or German instrument that Baker imported and put his own label on.
I doubt that. The wood looks like domestic maple, similar to other Yankee basses. Imports would not have carvings like that in the button. Never seen one.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
Michael Cahill showed up in the last thread with pics of his own bass, so his + mine + the Chicago one make 3 total. I would be curious to know if the other two have the same label... might be time to send out some emails. The one in mine was extremely faded, as you can see from the picture, which is why I never knew it was there until the top came off.
I think the Chicago bass was Michael's. That makes two then, his and yours. I don't think a label was in there. Michelle and Arnold combined would have found it.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Cahill is on a distinguished road
Default Nope, there are three

I stilll have mine and I think the third is still in Chicago. As far as I know, there's no label in mine. Carl's bass does not have outer linings but they look like cousins if not sisters, to me.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Junior Posting Member

It's entirely possible that my bass used to have linings that were removed at one point. Not all of its ribs are original.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
It's entirely possible that my bass used to have linings that were removed at one point. Not all of its ribs are original.
If the linings were removed then there would be a clear shadow all around the ribs. Also, the plates would be sticking over the ribs about twice as much unless it was made flush with no overhang. I do not see that in the pictures.

Michael, the bass from Chicago is no longer listed. I thought your bass was that same bass.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Cahill is on a distinguished road
Default Group photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If the linings were removed then there would be a clear shadow all around the ribs. Also, the plates would be sticking over the ribs about twice as much unless it was made flush with no overhang. I do not see that in the pictures.

Perhaps the builder decided to do without the linings on Carl's and not mine or the other.

Michael, the bass from Chicago is no longer listed. I thought your bass was that same bass.
Michael Hartery sent the link to the Chicago bass after seeing mine in person. So, that one is sold or off the market but there are three or maybe even more. Maybe we can meet sometime for a group photo.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mark Leue is on a distinguished road
Default Possible Baker bass

Hi, Sorry I haven't had a chance to generally introduce myself, but I am a luthier ( one of the Brotherhood of loosely associated bass luthiers of America)
who recently acquired an interesting American bass, which is missing its original top. There is an inscription on the back "Calvin Baker 1885"
The outline of the bass is similar to a Baker, but it lacks the distinctive work at the button, and the machine heads are obviously German commercial of the period, and the pegbox was built to follow the plates of those machines.
Baker's shop looks to have been a busy place in this time period judging by the large # of violins that have auction results, so I assume they may have employed a number of craftsman.
Anyway, I am seeking more info on, and photos of known Baker basses.
I acquired this bass in part because I am "warming up" for my first bass build after years of restoration work on basses and having made a number of violins under Karl Roy, etc. and was looking to make a top as a way of gearing up.
I am particularly hoping someone can get me photos of, or a tracing of Baker's F hole pattern if this turns out to be a Baker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8755.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	3025  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default detail possible Baker bass.

hope this includes the pictures?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8754.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	742.3 KB
ID:	3026  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default more detail Baker (or whatever it is…)

Inscription.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2605.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	3027  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Junior Posting Member

volute detail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8765.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	902.7 KB
ID:	3028  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Junior Posting Member

Button. and upper back
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8756.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	3029  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Possible Baker bass

One more, side and back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8757.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	3030  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leue View Post
Hi, Sorry I haven't had a chance to generally introduce myself, but I am a luthier ( one of the Brotherhood of loosely associated bass luthiers of America)
who recently acquired an interesting American bass, which is missing its original top. There is an inscription on the back "Calvin Baker 1885"
The outline of the bass is similar to a Baker, but it lacks the distinctive work at the button, and the machine heads are obviously German commercial of the period, and the pegbox was built to follow the plates of those machines.
Baker's shop looks to have been a busy place in this time period judging by the large # of violins that have auction results, so I assume they may have employed a number of craftsman.
Anyway, I am seeking more info on, and photos of known Baker basses.
I acquired this bass in part because I am "warming up" for my first bass build after years of restoration work on basses and having made a number of violins under Karl Roy, etc. and was looking to make a top as a way of gearing up.
I am particularly hoping someone can get me photos of, or a tracing of Baker's F hole pattern if this turns out to be a Baker.
Mark, although it doesn't look exactly like the other C.Bakers I have seen (2-3 pictured and one of those in person and didn't know then it was Baker), it only looks slightly Germanic. The Arching of the back looks like his other basses and the upper back design is not typical German. The Asa White bass I played was similar as well to this but was a small bass, 1/2 sized I think but today called 5/8 for marketing. The handwritten name is a puzzle as I thought he branded and or labeled his work. So, I don't know if this is his bass but could be possible. Also, if the label was destroyed in a repair someone could have also written it to mark what the bass was.

It is also possible that the Scroll/Neck is German and used by him to save time or has been replaced since it was made. In that case, you have just the Back and Ribs that he may have made if the Top as you say is replaced as well.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

To me the C-bouts look kind of Yankee, not German. The head however is not by the maker of the corpus, in my opinion. It looks factory German.