Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols
Default My fascination

I've always wondered why people own multiple Smith basses. I've always felt complete with my Black Tiger 5. I knew i had to get a 6 string at some point, so i took a year and saved up. I finally ordered my BSR6EG, and i felt this rush. It felt good. A nice feeling of satisfaction. I'm not gonna lie, i know a lot about Smith basses. I study them. I'm always on the website looking at them, researching the woods. I'm always on blogs asking questions and comparing answers. I believe that I know Smith basses veru well. Maybe not as well as Tim Bishop, but i know them.

Now that I have a Black Tiger 5, and a BSR6EG on the way, i felt complete. But i feel like their are other woods which i want now. So i guess i will have to save up for a White Tiger Elite. I can see myself years from now having a wall of basses in my house. I may even pass one down to my son if he wants to play bass.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Why?

For me it's a simple answer. I love Ken's work.

First and foremost I'm very thankful and blessed to be able to afford what I would consider a great buy on probably the best built basses there are. Also, I'm continually inspired by having an option as to which Smith bass I want to use on a particular recording/song. There are differences in tones with different woods.

There are some builders out there that charge much more than KSB's, however, IMO, it's just that: Too much for what you may or may not get. With Ken Smith Basses, there's no guess work. I know what to expect and have NEVER been disappointed. There are a few great Luthiers out there, Ken is one of them at the top of the list. My eyes, ears, and fingers have never led me to experience otherwise.

Thanks Ken for your great work. I hope you continue to keep up the great work for years to come.

Tim B.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 AM
Posting Member

Lou Laurenti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
For me it's a simple answer. I love Ken's work.

First and foremost I'm very thankful and blessed to be able to afford what I would consider a great buy on probably the best built basses there are. Also, I'm continually inspired by having an option as to which Smith bass I want to use on a particular recording/song. There are differences in tones with different woods.

There are some builders out there that charge much more than KSB's, however, IMO, it's just that: Too much for what you may or may not get. With Ken Smith Basses, there's no guess work. I know what to expect and have NEVER been disappointed. There are a few great Luthiers out there, Ken is one of them at the top of the list. My eyes, ears, and fingers have never led me to experience otherwise.

Thanks Ken for your great work. I hope you continue to keep up the great work for years to come.

Tim B.
Very well stated Tim..