Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 03-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Avatar Photo - it's a 7-string - MD7

Al, that is "THE" bass! Just sitting on the stand - many people look and go --- "oohhhh".

The MD-7 is a heavy bass also. Luckily I can strap her on and play a few tunes - easily. Big Shoulders!

You can hear the tone of this bass well in the below video link.

Here is a youtube.com video link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RgYJbwvmkms

Last edited by Christopher Rhodes; 03-22-2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: grammer!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

You have to be careful with spreading out your speakers. You can wind up really messing up the sound distribution in the room due to phase interference from the different speaker distances.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 03-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
Al, that is "THE" bass! Just sitting on the stand - many people look and go --- "oohhhh".

The MD-7 is a heavy bass also. Luckily I can strap her on and play a few tunes - easily. Big Shoulders!

Chris, that was on point, great video it looks as though you and your group were having fun. Great groove.
Al
Old 03-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Mike Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post

I couldn't help but notice the drummer toss a stick up in the air around 1:08 Good recovery though he was not even phased by it

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Wow, I didn't even notice that.. you're right.. that was a good recovery.. he never even wavered on the timing while he was fishing out a replacement. That's a pro drummer there man..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 04-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Aguilar

Does anyone on the board play out of the new Aguilar 810 cabinets?
I've heard good things about the clarity and over all tone produced by the cab, some people are rating it a close second to the Ampeg 810E.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

BobWankowski is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Amp Rig for Smiths

Euphonic Audio iAMP-600 Head
Avalon U5
(For recording and I sometimes use as a pre for the iAMP power section)
Euphonic Audio VL-210 Cab
Euphonic Audio VL-110 Cab x2
Gramma Platform

Been a great match for everything I plug in and the Smith's sound superb through it.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Not Weak at All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Albert, I'm curious, on your Ampegs (ID which one), do you have a Line Output Level control? If so and if you use it, how effective/strong is that signal +/- Adj. to the house running an XLR Line Out?

On my SVT III Pro head, the Line Output Level IMO is weak at best. For the sake of comparison, my Eden heads have an Output Level send and they are anything but weak! XLR sends out of the back of these amps with any +/- adjustment to Output Level is significant (pre or post EQ)!

What has your experience been with the Ampegs?
Tim, I finally got the opportunity to run out of my SVT Classic XLR jack, which is my preamp output. I ran it to through the house system at the church we visited last Thursday evening. It was anything but weak, no problem with output.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
Tim, I finally got the opportunity to run out of my SVT Classic XLR jack, which is my preamp output. I ran it to through the house system at the church we visited last Thursday evening. It was anything but weak, no problem with output.
Hmmmm, so, on the SVT Classic, I would assume there is no output level control, just the XLR out? If this is the case, we are comparing apples to oranges. I was hoping your other Ampeg amp would have a similar output control as my SVT III Pro.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Senior Posting Member

Default Correct-o-mondo

Quote:
Hmmmm, so, on the SVT Classic, I would assume there is no output level control, just the XLR out? If this is the case, we are comparing apples to oranges. I was hoping your other Ampeg amp would have a similar output control as my SVT III Pro.
That's correct my brother, you have the Pro-Series same as Vic-Woo (big dollar-bill) your equipment is the state of the art, I have the classic joints with the Motown sound, two different flavors my brother.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Posting Member

Bill Doss is on a distinguished road

Al,

I just picked up a DB 410 Monster Green. I compare it to the Ampeg 410 Hlf - but with more clarity. It is very loud and has very good presence in the room. I especialy like the size since I do not have a truck to haul cabs around. I can see the comparison between both 810 cabs.

Hope it helps!

Bill Doss
Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Doss View Post
Al,

I just picked up a DB 410 Monster Green. I compare it to the Ampeg 410 Hlf - but with more clarity. It is very loud and has very good presence in the room. I especially like the size since I do not have a truck to haul cabs around. I can see the comparison between both 810 cabs.

Hope it helps!

Bill Doss
Thanks Bill, for your response, my question to you though is when you say more clarity then the SVT410HLF are you referring to the low end or the high end of the spectrum? I personally have not played through the DB 410 so I cant be objective on this one, but I do play through the Ampegs daily.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Posting Member

Default Aguilar Db series cabinets

Quote:
Thanks Bill, for your response, my question to you though is when you say more clarity then the SVT410HLF are you referring to the low end or the high end of the spectrum? I personally have not played through the DB 410 so I cant be objective on this one, but I do play through the Ampegs daily.

Al,

I would say that the main diference in the low mids and lows. The DB is a little less boomy than the 410 Hlf, but more agressive sounding in the low mids. The very low frequencies are there but they are tighter than the ampeg.

My opinion is that Aguilar created these cabinets with the specific intent of winning over some Ampeg users. It is mainly a rock cabinet and not hi-fi sounding at all. I have used the GS series cabinets from Aguilar and the SVT 410 hlf. To my ears the DB has more in common with the ampeg than with its cousins.

BD
Old 04-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool I would concur...

Quote:
Al,

I would say that the main diference in the low mids and lows. The DB is a little less boomy than the 410 Hlf, but more agressive sounding in the low mids. The very low frequencies are there but they are tighter than the ampeg.

My opinion is that Aguilar created these cabinets with the specific intent of winning over some Ampeg users. It is mainly a rock cabinet and not hi-fi sounding at all. I have used the GS series cabinets from Aguilar and the SVT 410 hlf. To my ears the DB has more in common with the ampeg than with its cousins.

BD

Bill, I would concur with your assessment of the 410HLF cabinet. I've used the 410, 610 and 810 as well. I currently have the 610HLF. Great cabs, just a different flavor.

Because I use Eden Cabs exclusively (any combination of the 210XST, 410XLT, or 115XLT), I have not found anything (at this time) that would warrant a change to a different Cab for me. I would rate the Eden Cabs as "among the best", if not THE best: The cleanest 30Hz-14KHz that's ever passed between my ears.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-11-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up In The Ear of The Bass Player

Quote:
Bill, I would concur with your assessment of the 410HLF cabinet. I've used the 410, 610 and 810 as well. I currently have the 610HLF. Great cabs, just a different flavor.

Because I use Eden Cabs exclusively (any combination of the 210XST, 410XLT, or 115XLT), I have not found anything (at this time) that would warrant a change to a different Cab for me. I would rate the Eden Cabs as "among the best", if not THE best: The cleanest 30Hz-14KHz that's ever passed between my ears.
Thank you both Bill and Tim for your expert opinions, I feel as though Tim really hit home with his ending comment. Its all about "What's Sounds Best in The Ear of The Bass Player", that's what ultimately determines what Bass or rig he/she plays, or plays through. If we all had the same exact equipment I can promise you we still wouldn't sound the same, nor would we want too. Everyone has a different "Flavor" sound, tweaking set-up that hopefully allows them to pronounce to the world what they hear in their respective heads. For me its Ken Smith Basses and Ampeg rigs.
God I love this forum its so cool to be able to agree to disagree and learn something in the interum.
Al
Old 04-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Of course.....

Quote:

Of course the PLX3602 and F2-B Pre-amp helps a bit....

Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Oh, and one more thing...

Quote:

Quote:
Of course the PLX3602 and F2-B Pre-amp helps a bit....

Oh, and one more thing. I top that off with any one of my Smith's.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Posting Member

Default Aguilar DB

Quote:
Thank you both Bill and Tim for your expert opinions, I feel as though Tim really hit home with his ending comment. Its all about "What's Sounds Best in The Ear of The Bass Player", that's what ultimately determines what Bass or rig he/she plays, or plays through. If we all had the same exact equipment I can promise you we still wouldn't sound the same, nor would we want too. Everyone has a different "Flavor" sound, tweaking set-up that hopefully allows them to pronounce to the world what they hear in their respective heads. For me its Ken Smith Basses and Ampeg rigs.
God I love this forum its so cool to be able to agree to disagree and learn something in the interum.
Al

I agree. It is great to be able to discuss gear with such luxury of detail. If this forum was around years ago it would have saved me a lot of cash from buying stuff that for one reason or another did not do it for me.

Al, one more thing about the Aguilar cabient that i did not mention was that I was using an Aguilar Ag500 solid state head with my Fender jazz (stock). I have not played my Smith through it,as it is in Ken's shop being given some TLC.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Posting Member

Default of course!

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing. I top that off with any one of my Smith's.
I agree!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
I agree. It is great to be able to discuss gear with such luxury of detail. If this forum was around years ago it would have saved me a lot of cash from buying stuff that for one reason or another did not do it for me.

Al, one more thing about the Aguilar cabient that i did not mention was that I was using an Aguilar Ag500 solid state head with my Fender jazz (stock). I have not played my Smith through it,as it is in Ken's shop being given some TLC.
Fender Jazz, really, might I ask what year and if its American or Mexican produced? It would over whelmingly seem as though the majority of the Bassist on this thread prefer the Aguilar and Epifani products. Indeed that makes a powerful statement, one would assume that their products are the ones (if your wallet can afford it) to acquire.
Al