Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jose Bichoff is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Choosing the right wood combo

Ken and friends,

Do you think there's a general rule to follow when choosing top, back and core woods for a new bass?

In other words, what is the start point to someone who has a well defined sound in his mind and don't have any clue about what wood to choose to get that sound.

Best regards
Old 07-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Bichoff View Post
Ken and friends,

Do you think there's a general rule to follow when choosing top, back and core woods for a new bass?

In other words, what is the start point to someone who has a well defined sound in his mind and don't have any clue about what wood to choose to get that sound.

Best regards
Is this for a Smith bass or in general?

Because, there is NO 'in general'. Ask THAT builder, not another.

The wood is part of the sound. What part each thing does depends on how it is made. The other parts make up the sound as well. Don't use a Chicken Recipe on Fish!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:45 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Is this for a Smith bass or in general?

Because, there is NO 'in general'. Ask THAT builder, not another.

The wood is part of the sound. What part each thing does depends on how it is made. The other parts make up the sound as well. Don't use a Chicken Recipe on Fish!
Ken,

I'm in your forum asking about your basses. Sorry if I was not clear about that in my previous post.
Since Smith basses uses basically the same pickups, hardware and electronics, I think woods can play an important role and be decisive to a buyer choosing his Smith bass, new or used.
I was just wondering if there's a way to make decisions easier but you already answered that: NO!

Thank you.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool No?.. Yes!

Quote:
Ken,

I'm in your forum asking about your basses. Sorry if I was not clear about that in my previous post.
Since Smith basses uses basically the same pickups, hardware and electronics, I think woods can play an important role and be decisive to a buyer choosing his Smith bass, new or used.
I was just wondering if there's a way to make decisions easier but you already answered that: NO!

Thank you.
If it's a Smith Bass then I can help. But, I don't know what you are hearing in your head either as far as sound goes. Describing sound is like describing taste. I can tell you that chocolate is sweeter than potatoes. That is in general. Walnut to my ear has more audible high mids than Maple. Which species of Walnut? Which species of Maple? What part of the Bass? How thick of a piece? So so many variables that I can only compare them to themselves if all other parts are the same.

Did you go and read my Wood Pages? I describe the sounds of each and everyone of them!

This also depends on the model as the amount of laminations and overall design plays a role in the sound of the bass. Not just a piece of wood as if dropping it on the floor to hear its tone. In that way I can actually compare better but only if each piece is the exact same dimensions and the same floor used each time..

Pick your model first and go from there.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Narrowing possibilities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If it's a Smith Bass then I can help. But, I don't know what you are hearing in your head either as far as sound goes. Describing sound is like describing taste. I can tell you that chocolate is sweeter than potatoes. That is in general. Walnut to my ear has more audible high mids than Maple. Which species of Walnut? Which species of Maple? What part of the Bass? How thick of a piece? So so many variables that I can only compare them to themselves if all other parts are the same.

Did you go and read my Wood Pages? I describe the sounds of each and everyone of them!

This also depends on the model as the amount of laminations and overall design plays a role in the sound of the bass. Not just a piece of wood as if dropping it on the floor to hear its tone. In that way I can actually compare better but only if each piece is the exact same dimensions and the same floor used each time..

Pick your model first and go from there.

I'm considering and saving money for a BT6G 5-piece body and neck.

The sound that I'm after is as follows:
1- strong and tight lows
2- powerful mids (specially low mids)
3- soft but articulated highs

Your Woods page have been of great help so far. As you say, so many variables to consider...
I just want to get close as possible from the target in the first shot.

Any idea? I'm considering Imbuia for Top/Back, Mahogany Core and Maple laminates...

Thank you, my friend.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Bt6g...

Quote:
I'm considering and saving money for a BT6G 5-piece body and neck.

The sound that I'm after is as follows:
1- strong and tight lows
2- powerful mids (specially low mids)
3- soft but articulated highs

Your Woods page have been of great help so far. As you say, so many variables to consider...
I just want to get close as possible from the target in the first shot.

Any idea? I'm considering Imbuia for Top/Back, Mahogany Core and Maple laminates...

Thank you, my friend.
In October I hope to have the new website done. Then we will have 2 models to choose from. The Exotic series or the Tiger Series. Imbuia will be in the Exotic series as well any model with a Mahogany core.

I think your choice will work. This is also the Oil/varnish finished model unless you want the Elite version. 5pc lamination is an option for the BT/GN series but standard on the EG series. The main difference in the two is the 5pc, the figure grades and the finish being Lacquer on the EG, the most costly of the differences.