Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > French Bass School

Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Junior Posting Member

Tom Sheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Found this on craigslist!

Hello! This is my first post. Any thoughts on this bass? It's in poor health and to my untrained eye, need significant restoration. Stamped Mirecourt on the machines. Thanks for any help/advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0096.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	2195  Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0086.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	2196  Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0120.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	522.0 KB
ID:	2197  Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0107-1.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	533.9 KB
ID:	2198  

Last edited by Tom Sheppard; 09-19-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Wanted to add to post.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Posting Member

Adam Linz is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Oh man!

Wow, what a find. Cool French looking bass. Looks like it was baked in the attic unfortunately. Which probably means it has shrunk all the way around. You should restore it if you got the scratch and a patient luthier. I mean it would be a haul. Look for Matt Tucker on this forum, I believe he is the one who has been posting a catalog of pics of a bass almost looking exactly the same that he is restoring . You can see what you're in for. Bring that beast back to life!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb needs..

Sound Post and Bassbar cracks so a full plaster mold for the Top and all. The Back center seam, cracks, braces.. The Neck is broken in several places including the Scroll and pegbox so it's shot and needs full repairs and a graft. The Varnish is shot. Can be partially restored or re-finished.

Try Jed Kriegel in the Boston area. He will know what to do. Expect to spend $15-20k minimum on fixing this bass properly. It is an Orchestra bass and needs what it needs. Anything less and it will need more if you skimp or cheat the work needed.

I know of only 4 or 5 Luthiers east of The Delaware River I would trust with this or any Bass like this. Call me if you want the names. Jed is closest to you I think. This is a HUGE job and should only be touched by the best workers that can do Museum grade work.

The repair costs might easily exceed its value here. When this bass is done, if it gets done, it will still have all of that damage under the repairs. I know of another French Bass selling for under $20k, not so different from this but fully restored and in excellent health and still, NO one has bought it. Be careful. Generic Factory French basses may look similar to some handmade ones or famous named ones but at the time of sale, the Price differs greatly. Condition matters as well as the quality of the repairs.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

Ken I appreciate your advice. I know Jed and will take the bass to him. I'd like to see this bass live on and hopefully be played by someone who will appreciate it.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sheppard View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Ken I appreciate your advice. I know Jed and will take the bass to him. I'd like to see this bass live on and hopefully be played by someone who will appreciate it.
I would probably do the same. Not all projects are done for profit. Some are just for the music!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Hi Tom,

Well, we know that Jed will give you the straight info on whether or not its worth it.

I look forward to hearing/reading what he says...

Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Junior Posting Member

I've shown the photos to Arnold as well. I'm not surprised by the estimate cost of restoration. At least three people have been in that neighborhood. Doesn't mean I can afford to commission that kind of work though.

I wonder what this would be worth to a qualified luthier in trade for other work? An example is I'd love to have my old Kay improved.

Still I hate to think that this old bass amounts to not much more than high priced fire wood.... not that I would. Shouldn't a noble instrument be treated nobly?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Hey Tom,

Sent you an email.

Brian
Old 09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Took it to Jed.

Well, it's always an educational experience when I visit Jed. He seemed to like the bass and thinks it is worth restoring. After a hands on inspection, his assessment is right in line with what both Ken and Arnold have said.

I'm leaning on letting him take this in trade for some work on either on my basses. That is a lot of money for me, so it seems right to let the expert give the bass what it needs, and maybe my old kay will turn out to be a real badass. or at least, a lot better than it is now.

Thanks for all your help and advice.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Junior Posting Member

AndrewHamilton is on a distinguished road

Great find. I hope to someday find a bass worthy of a restore like that.