Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

Noah Hall is on a distinguished road
Default Hermann Stolzel

Hello,

Wondering if anyone had information about Herm. Stolzel basses?
I just picked one up (marked 1931) and have been told they were better than the average "german shop bass".
I haven't been able to find much info about this name but they are mentioned a handful of times here and there on the internet.

Any insight is appreciated.

Link to gallery: http://imgur.com/a/PIwK4
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Bass makers rarely get the attention when written about in books like violin makers.

There are two Hermann Stolzel's. A father and son possibly by the dates given. They worked in Markneukirchen which is in Saxony near the Czech/Bohemian border. Many many makers and shops made more instruments in half a century than can be counted. Mostly from the turn of the 19/20th century till about WWII.

On the Father it is just written (in Jalovec's German/Austrian makers); H.S. (I) "19th cent., good double bass maker".

Then H.S. (II), "b.27, 5, 1899, d. 5, 2, 1935 V.m. (violin maker).

I believe it was probably the son that continued the bass business into the 20th century. But Jalovec doesn't bother to make that connection. It is however quite obvious.

In the Henley book, he elaborates; Stolzel, Hermann Jr., Son and pupil of Hermann Senr.. Worked at Markneukirchen. Died in 1935. Both specialized in making double-basses.

So there you have it. Henley connects the father and son and it ended in 1935 from what we know.

In that town there were many good makers of basses that were better than the lower grade student imports but even those shops made several grades from plain-Jane to Master-Art models. I can name several but for now, your bass and varnish type look typical for medium grade models of that time. It also needs some serious repairs. Do not cut corner and getting that bass fixed. It will only lower its value if you do. have the best bass luthier you can find do the work or, wait till you can.

Nicer made basses usually have a more transparent golden brown varnish of similar shades and violin corners for the top models. Round back then was more work as it is now and better woods as well. The super high flamed wavy maple models are the best. I have one here from around then or earlier that is so well made, I can't figure who the maker is. It is better than anything I have seen. So, in that part of the world, there were many shops supplying basses to various sellers to export around Europe, the UK and USA. USA was probably the biggest customer with virtually no shops here at all making basses to meet demand.

Just an FYI, I continue to acquire these shop basses from time to time, mainly the older ones. The Uebel I have is a Saxon bass from the late 19th century and the Kreutzer is a German/Italian style bass I have that is extremely well made but he was in Brno (Moravia) when he made this bass but had trained in Germany when he was younger. My old Lion head German bass is in the Saxon style as well but a much older version instrument as it was cut down to its current shape and size over a century ago. More recently, I purchased a Hermann Dölling flatback from Europe, a 4/4?, 1933 Juzek gamba locally (probably made by Benedict Lang Snr. in Schonbach) and a 1920ish 4/4 violin cornered high flamed roundback with beautiful golden brown varnish. This I think was maybe from a shop like Karl Hermann but looks a bit like an old Anton Wilfer only better. I can't read the label but looks like nothing I have seen before 'if' it's real. It is marked 'made in Germany' so that rules out old Wilfer unless he was the 'ghost' maker for a German exporter. Totally not out of the question. I have seen the same type basses with at least 5 or more brand names, Juzek being one and Morelli, Lang and a few others also have been spotted. Almost like there was only one huge shop making all these basses for the various other shops and then sold unlabelled on occasion and the importer making up a pretty name to market them. Like, who made the Hawkes basses in Germany or rather, how many shops were contracted over the years?

So, the Germans (and the Bohemians/Czechs across the border) in that region ran 'Shops' to make instruments as well as instrument parts and the bass specialty shops worked in various sizes from many workers with some machine made parts, cottage industry, supplied parts to family run shops like father and son, probably with helpers and so on. There were other German makers of whose basses I have seen on occasion, more on-line than in person but those look totally or more handmade and also done in a different style than the Saxon/Berlin trade, but mainly Saxony. Many many Germanic instruments from violins to basses were made anonymously and as one old author put it something like this, "if they were as good as they were many, there would be more to say about the Germans", referring to the violin business in Germany for centuries was mostly without originality as far as the Violins go.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

I bought, fixed up and sold a lovely 1936 bass labeled "Hermann Stotzel". It was a cut above the average shop bass. Unfortunately the neck had been destroyed, so I did not get to observe the workmanship on the scroll. It has a beautiful punchy and deep sound.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I bought, fixed up and sold a lovely 1936 bass labeled "Hermann Stotzel". It was a cut above the average shop bass. Unfortunately the neck had been destroyed, so I did not get to observe the workmanship on the scroll. It has a beautiful punchy and deep sound.
Arnold, is it possible that he died after 1935 or did he have a son as well to carry on the business or was it done by his workers or partners?

Businesses do carry on after the founder are gone with the name/brand/label remaining. That is a fact.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Junior Posting Member

Noah Hall is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the information. It is appreciated.

I bought this bass to save it from further deteriorating and will do everything I can to ensure it is repaired properly. Something that's going to be an ongoing project for a while I'm sure.

Thanks again for the history.

Label and Stamp:
http://imgur.com/a/JVjCC

The same stamp appears on the neck block inside the bass.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Hall View Post
Thank you for the information. It is appreciated.

I bought this bass to save it from further deteriorating and will do everything I can to ensure it is repaired properly. Something that's going to be an ongoing project for a while I'm sure.

Thanks again for the history.

Label and Stamp:
http://imgur.com/a/JVjCC

The same stamp appears on the neck block inside the bass.
Very nice and definite markings. Enjoy the bass. It deserves to be saved and played.