Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Junior Posting Member

Steve Robinson is on a distinguished road
Default Elgar's Paragraph on Factory Basses

I have an old photocopy of this book, so I figured I'd post this nice paragraph for people to reference. Perfect for this thread.

Quote:
Double Basses are termed "factory" or "machine" made; otherwise they are handmade. The former descriptions are not accurate as in the making of even the cheapest instruments much of the construction and all of the assembly work is done by handwork. The three centres in the world where considerable production is still carried on of the Bass and violin family instruments are Mirecourt in Eastern France, Mittenwald in the Southern Tyrol of Germany and Markneukirchin near Dresden in the Eastern section of Germany. All are quite small towns outwardly showing little evidence of these activities. Much of the work is done by outworkers in their own homes and then taken to a large depot where the instruments are assembled and finished. It is quite usual in Mittenwald to see an elderly worker with several carved bass scrolls protruding from the haversack on his back as he sets off to the depot with his most recently finished work. The general construction of a "factory" bass shows a rough interior and no proper thicknessing of the top and back. The instruments are "got up" to look well on the outside, nice and shiny and superficially attractive, but they lack the qualities of a Bass handmade throughout and constructed in precisely the same way as its smaller relations, the violin, viola, and cello. At a first glance this wooden box with its "handle" certainly does not seem to be made up from over 60 separate pieces, so let us now see what and where these are, together with some dimensions and the method of construction.

Introduction to the Double Bass (1960)
Raymond Elgar, page 31
--Steve
Old 08-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

When I visited Mittenwald (breathtakingly beautiful, by the way), I was told by Gunter Krahmer that the home-working of violin-family instrument parts occurred as farmers had little to do in the winters, and needed to bring in extra cash. There were similar arrangements in other businesses, such as textiles. I'm often pleasantly taken by the quality of the work done by these home-workers and the shops that assembled and finished the instruments. I'm sure many of these farmers passed considerable skills down from generation to generation. There is no way to compare the skill level of someone who learns by doing to one learning only in a school environment.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
When I visited Mittenwald (breathtakingly beautiful, by the way), I was told by Gunter Krahmer that the home-working of violin-family instrument parts occurred as farmers had little to do in the winters, and needed to bring in extra cash. There were similar arrangements in other businesses, such as textiles. I'm often pleasantly taken by the quality of the work done by these home-workers and the shops that assembled and finished the instruments. I'm sure many of these farmers passed considerable skills down from generation to generation. There is no way to compare the skill level of someone who learns by doing to one learning only in a school environment.
It is not just farming and working with your hands that made these people good in this field. Before the Mittenwald Violin making school came about, wood carving, mainly religious artifacts was a flourishing business in Mittenwald as it was a main trade route in that part of Europe. In the 17th century or so from what I read the business had died down mainly due to competition from further north in Germany. Mathias Klotz moved back to Mittenwald and started the Cottage Industry which still exists today in many areas to some degree and not just in Violins. I believe he was the hero that saved the town and they even made a Statue of him as well.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:54 AM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road

I wonder what he would think of Factory made basses today...