Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road
Default Bridge adjusters and sound for Arco

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone have ever noticed any difference in sound when installing aluminum bridge adjusters for arco playing only.
I am the only one that has adjusters in the section. The other 4 basses have solid bridges. One of my basses has the Kolstein bridge with the wooden adjusters. And it seems fine. My other bass has aluminum adjusters. I never cared because that is my "jazz" bass. But occasionally I'll take it to an Orchestra rehearsal and I've been wondering if the brightness that I am hearing is just more noticeable when playing arco.
Thank you.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Brightness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Barbosa View Post
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone have ever noticed any difference in sound when installing aluminum bridge adjusters for arco playing only.
I am the only one that has adjusters in the section. The other 4 basses have solid bridges. One of my basses has the Kolstein bridge with the wooden adjusters. And it seems fine. My other bass has aluminum adjusters. I never cared because that is my "jazz" bass. But occasionally I'll take it to an Orchestra rehearsal and I've been wondering if the brightness that I am hearing is just more noticeable when playing arco.
Thank you.
Bowing on your Jazz bass in an Orchestra? What kind of bass and how different is it from Your Orchestra bass? Also, and very important, what strings are on the Jazz bass and Orchestra bass?

I will bet you that the difference is the bass first and the Strings second that makes the difference. The Adjusters are way down the list in my book. For me, I like the adjusters that are the easiest to turn. I am not going to try various types in the same bridge and bass to see how the sound changes. You can't compare adjusters from one bass to another. It can only be compared with the exact same bass and bridge.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Posting Member

The bass has no label, but I've had it for a long time and tried many different strings on it. Right now I have a set of Obligatos, and after a good warm up I feel that I can get a good sound out of it.
I guess I was wondering if someone who had installed aluminum adjusters on their bridge had noticed any differences.
I also would think that adjusters would be way down the list, but I thought I'd ask anyway, in case anyone had any other thoughts on it.
thank you.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:36 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Default $.02 (at best)

I've played a couple of basses with the same bridge before/after adjusters were added, but only briefly on either side. IMO, yes, it changes the sound, a little, but not for the better or worse - just different. And not enough to convince me it isn't just in my head, either. Like Ken, I think if you're going to put adjusters in a bridge, get the biggest easiest-to-grab ones you can find - they all mess up the look of a nice bridge anyway.

Personally, I don't get enough use out of adjusters to make them worthwhile. I think they look funny, and I'd rather just keep two bridges (if needed) - if the climate in a particular area changes enough over the seasons to really need adjusters, you probably need two soundposts anyway - might as well swap them both and clean your fingerboard at the same time...
Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Posting Member

Ruben E garcia is on a distinguished road

Hi Eduardo:
I don’t know if this article helps to answer exactly your question, they compared different types of adjusters and the results are very interesting
http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/Forschung/english/dbb/dbb.htm
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben E garcia View Post
Hi Eduardo:
I don’t know if this article helps to answer exactly your question, they compared different types of adjusters and the results are very interesting
Unless they kept changing adjusters on the same exact bridge going from smallest to biggest and the exact bass, strings, player etc, there is no way to compare this.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Posting Member

Nathan Parker is on a distinguished road

That's what they did, Ken. They tried to keep the conditions as identical as possible in order to isolate the changes that occur with the different adjusters.

It's very interesting, but I take it all with a grain of salt. It probably makes a difference, but it's hard to say how much of a difference. It should be noted that I don't use adjusters because I don't like the way they sound.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Hi Eduardo:
That is a great article. Thank you!

I live in Colorado, and I think I am going to pay very close attention to how my bass behave when summer comes. I might wanna go for a solid bridge on my Orchestral bass.
Thank you.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Parker View Post
That's what they did, Ken. They tried to keep the conditions as identical as possible in order to isolate the changes that occur with the different adjusters.

It's very interesting, but I take it all with a grain of salt. It probably makes a difference, but it's hard to say how much of a difference. It should be noted that I don't use adjusters because I don't like the way they sound.
Correct....!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Posting Member

For what I know, that is not a lot J or I may say for what I have read, solid aluminum adjusters made from one piece of metal are the overall best adjusters to have install in your bass…
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Default oh?

Quote:
For what I know, that is not a lot J or I may say for what I have read, solid aluminum adjusters made from one piece of metal are the overall best adjusters to have install in your bass…
And why is that?

I prefer turning with some kind of grip on then rather than the sharp gnarled metal tearing up my fingers. The Walnut modified adjusters from the Shen guys (Paul S.) are my favorite overall. Next are the black Ebony/Plastic? ones that several Luthiers here use. I forget what they are called but Arnold uses them.

The smaller Aluminum or even brass wheeled ones are just to hard to turn most of the times.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

i like these: http://www.moser-klangwerkstatt.com/...produkt1.shtml
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Posting Member

davidseidel is on a distinguished road
Default moser

I've always wondered about these - can you give some idea how good they are? Or what experience you have had with them? Thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

i have the mosers on my main bass, the titanium version, and have also one in aluminium with an integrated full circle.

i like that you can adjust the feet seperatly. i like to experiment a lot with strings, incl. mixing different G/D and A/E (for example plain gut/spiro or oliv/evah). the independence of the bridge feet allow me to lift the G/D and lower the E/A.

plus: they are absolutely easy to turn under full pressure. they are made very precise, like a swiss watch movement
Old 02-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Parker View Post
It should be noted that I don't use adjusters because I don't like the way they sound.
I have the exact opposite opinion.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Posting Member

Nathan Parker is on a distinguished road

It's funny how that works, Arnold. Different strokes for different folks, I spose. I reckon if I lived in a place with a harsher climate, I would change my tune. But, being in Seattle, I just don't need to adjust my bridge height all that often. I gots my strings where I like 'em, and there they stay.

And, without the adjusters I'm not constantly fiddling with my bass.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
And why is that?

I prefer turning with some kind of grip on then rather than the sharp gnarled metal tearing up my fingers. The Walnut modified adjusters from the Shen guys (Paul S.) are my favorite overall. Next are the black Ebony/Plastic? ones that several Luthiers here use. I forget what they are called but Arnold uses them.

The smaller Aluminum or even brass wheeled ones are just to hard to turn most of the times.
Well I shouldn't say that... I should say it like this: "base on the bible of bass repairs for those who don't have a mentor, Chuck Traeger" "he said that he only use one piece aluminum adjuster of 1/4" because they vibrate more easily, even 3/8" wooden ones are to wide to vibrate as well as 1/4" ones, and Steel and brass are so heavy as to act like a mute on the bridge" of course you have a different take on it, but I was saying about sound only... now you tell me

Last edited by Ruben E garcia; 02-08-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Exclamation lol

Quote:
Well I shouldn't say that... I should say it like this: "base on the bible of bass repairs for those who don't have a mentor, Chuck Traeger" "he said that he only use one piece aluminum adjuster of 1/4" because they vibrate more easily, even 3/8" wooden ones are to wide to vibrate as well as 1/4" ones, and Steel and brass are so heavy as to act like a mute on the bridge" of course you have a different take on it, but I was saying about sound only... now you tell me
Bass Bible? No, just the only current book available in that depth but some of what he would do would never be allowed on my basses.

He is not MY mentor now or in the future, ever. Just a guy that found time to write a book.

It's best that you and others know this difference.

So on a bass 6 feet tall, 1/4=2/8 is better than 3/8 to vibrate? So 1/8" difference is better on a 6ft tall bass over 2 feet wide and deep as 3 cellos. 1/8th inch?

Maybe I can sell you a bridge if you believe that! The Brooklyn Bridge maybe? Interested? I'll let you pay it off monthly..
Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road

[quote=Ken Smith;21910
Maybe I can sell you a bridge if you believe that! The Brooklyn Bridge maybe? Interested? I'll let you pay it off monthly..[/QUOTE]

Ruben , don't listen to Ken there is NO way that a bridge of that size would work on any bass that I know of ,not to mention transport costs a custom made case etc etc.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Did you know the Brooklyn Bridge sits on White Pine caissons that were dug by hand into the mud under the East River, and that several men died of Caisson Disease because of all the time they spent under pressurized conditions? Caisson Disease is commonly called "The Bends". Just thought you folks might enjoy a tidbit of useless but interesting info. How long will those chunks of pine resist rot?

Speaking of chunks of pine, I've had experience with just about every type of bass bridge adjuster. I agree with Traeger in that 1/4 x 20 single-piece are my favorite. However, I am leary of any person who deems himself a "Master Luthier", and I'm leary of untested claims about what vibrates and what doesn't. Besides, would you want the adjuster to vibrate, or would you just want it to pass the vibrations through? Ooh, cue the Theramin...