Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 02-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have had a couple inquiries about where to get the flexible silicone blanket. They can be bought at http://www.omega.com/pptst/SRMU_HEATER.html and scroll to the bottom of the page and put your dimensions into the part builder. It takes about 6 weeks to get it. Oder a 5 watt heater, that is plenty hot. When you wire it you must use your own judgement, but mine is just direct with no reostat or controller. Mine is 6 by 36 inches and I use it to make guitar sides also and is 1080 watts. I think a good size for making bass sides would be 8 by 11 and the wattage would be less, I think. It is a very good idea to put a hardware store timer-shut-off on it so you don't space out and burn down the shop.

If you want to make a bending form shaped like an oval or something, I think a wood form would be fine and you can order the blanket with pressure sensitive adhesive.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
I think. It is a very good idea to put a hardware store timer-shut-off on it so you don't space out and burn down the shop.
I'll second that! I once was using a silicone blanket to warm up a new ebony bass fingerboard prior to gluing it on the neck. I got called away and I forgot to pull the plug. By the time I got back the beautiful AAA fingerboard was burnt, cracked and totally ruined. It was a very expensive lesson for me.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Didn't pull the plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Branstetter View Post
I'll second that! I once was using a silicone blanket to warm up a new ebony bass fingerboard prior to gluing it on the neck. I got called away and I forgot to pull the plug. By the time I got back the beautiful AAA fingerboard was burnt, cracked and totally ruined. It was a very expensive lesson for me.

Bob, about what year was it that you forgot to pull the plug? I remember once while playing in a B'Way show in 1973 forgetting to look up at the conductor for about 20 minutes. Boy was he pissed. Something must have happened that day between the Matinée and Evening performance but it slips my mind at the moment..
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ken and Bob, I moved this here from the 'Cornerless Bass Thread' where it could get better attention. I hope you don't mind. I have no idea how this topic came up over there but either way, not it has a home of its own..
Old 02-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road
Default An Article for Reading

For anyone interested, Dr. George Borun wrote an article for the Southern California Association of Violin Makers Journal in 1992 that discusses using Silicone Heater Blankets. The information about prices is out of date, but everything else applies today. Here is the link to that article.

I'm curious if anyone here uses Silicone Blankets with some kind of device for regulating the heat. I still use the "pull the plug" method to control the heat, but I've always wondered how well the regulators work in practice.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Posting Member

Bob, If you want to see a really smooth way of bending go to http://www.taylorguitars.com/video/f...bending+Part+1

Don't get me wrong now, I love standing over a hot pipe...I get a lot of thinking done there.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink standing over a hot pipe?

Quote:
Bob, If you want to see a really smooth way of bending go to http://www.taylorguitars.com/video/f...bending+Part+1

Don't get me wrong now, I love standing over a hot pipe...I get a lot of thinking done there.
You guys totally mis-read my post above. back in the '70s, no one stood over a hot pipe. It was more like passing it around..
Old 02-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Posting Member

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH now I get it Yea that would be another reason for a back up timer. Hey better cut it out Mike is listening in and he shouldn't think of his dad this way. You were just kidding about that Right? Right!
Old 02-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Default Kidding?

Quote:
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH now I get it Yea that would be another reason for a back up timer. Hey better cut it out Mike is listening in and he shouldn't think of his dad this way. You were just kidding about that Right? Right!
Oh yeah.. I was kidding but there were guys back then that might do such a thing. I did see it once back stage I think...
Old 02-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mike Pecanic is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info Ken, I ordered mine a couple of days ago...+1 on that hot pipe issue. BTW, I have the paper (and plans) that Borun did on upright basses. He advocated for putting a bend not unlike the back, on the top plate! I don't think I've ever seen a bass with that. Anybody else?
Mike
Old 02-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Posting Member

You are welcome Mike.

My cornerless bass will have a slight bend in the top from about the middle of the upper bout up. It will give a bit more room for playing in thumb position... we'll see. I just finished the top linings and am ready to carve the top.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mike Pecanic is on a distinguished road

Sounds like fun, BTW, I liked the original dimensions of the pear-bass too. I'm gluing the bass bar tonight so I hope to have some pics of my project soon. The garland is done but the back is gonna be an issue as the wood warped over the year. Can't wait for the blanket...
Old 05-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Branstetter View Post
I'm curious if anyone here uses Silicone Blankets with some kind of device for regulating the heat.
Bob I've been experimenting with a standard electric stove element regulator with my blanket. It has an internal element and thermostat and clicks on - off - on - off as required to keep a temperature. You just have to find the balance point. It doesn't regulate the voltage though. I'm trying it on the next bass.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Posting Member

Martin Sheridan is on a distinguished road
Default size

Quote:
Hi, I have had a couple inquiries about where to get the flexible silicone blanket. They can be bought at http://www.omega.com/pptst/SRMU_HEATER.html and scroll to the bottom of the page and put your dimensions into the part builder. It takes about 6 weeks to get it. Oder a 5 watt heater, that is plenty hot. When you wire it you must use your own judgement, but mine is just direct with no reostat or controller. Mine is 6 by 36 inches and I use it to make guitar sides also and is 1080 watts. I think a good size for making bass sides would be 8 by 11 and the wattage would be less, I think. It is a very good idea to put a hardware store timer-shut-off on it so you don't space out and burn down the shop.

If you want to make a bending form shaped like an oval or something, I think a wood form would be fine and you can order the blanket with pressure sensitive adhesive.
My ribs usually approach nine inches at the bottom. Wouldn't I need a blanket at least that wide?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Posting Member

Yes ideally Martin, I put it sideways and bent a few inches at a time.