Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb "Cornerless Italian & Spanish Basses"

I know we have a similar Thread in 'General Bass Talk' but I thought I would kick off another Thread about this subject as this Guitar/Pear model that we occasionally see is usually of the Italian School.

Recently, a Bass player in 'The NYC Ballet' acquired David Walters' cornerless Bass attr. to Testore. Some have referred to it as a Spanish Bass as they too are known for making this style but did they really make them? Every old cornerless Bass I have seen looks Italian to me regardless of what they call it. Does anyone really know what the origin is of the Cornerless Bass?

The Bass I just acquired has a Brescian type Scroll with a Cornerless shape. The Scroll is on the short side with plugs visible from its 3-string days. The non-ebony Tailpiece also has 3 plugs from when it was a 3-stringer but has since had 4 new holes drilled and an upper lip added at the top of the TP.

This Bass though is loooong.. 44 1/4" string length now but about 44 1/2" if we make a new Bridge with the current Neck and neck-set. For this, we have a vague plan as far as shortening the string length and keeping it playable as well as its thick organ-like sound.

So, please post your Italian Cornerless Bass stories here and post any pics of any Bass you can find anywhere that is both 'Cornerless and Italian' in origin for discussion purposes. I will get my page up in a day or so from this posting and then link it from here.

NOTE: As of this edit on 4/29/07 I just changed the title to include Spanish Basses as many 'attributed' Italian Cornerless Basses may be actually Spanish. Although this style is believed to have originated in Italy, it is the main style that was adapted in Spain as well.