Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 02-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Junior Posting Member

PatrickCowan is on a distinguished road
Default Soundpost crack and value

Hello all,

My bass has developed what appears to be the beginnings of a sound post crack. I've seen a local luthier about this who estimated this as an approximately $3000 repair bill and a couple months in the shop. He can't fit it into his schedule for right now and I intend to take it to another local luthier for a second opinion.

My question is, in a general sense, how will this affect the value of the bass? It's a German factory bass from either the 20's, 30's or turn of the 1900's, depending on which luthier I've asked. It's currently appraised at $13,000, although I would expect to get less in an actual sale. Once I spend the three grand, or whatever, to get it properly repaired, what kind of decrease in value am I looking at?

I've since purchased a second bass (thanks Arnold and Will ) and this bass is in a holding pattern (with top tension removed) until I get it fixed.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Repair and value..

First off, showing us some detailed pics of both your Bass and the repair needed will help us to answer you.

On Value before and after, we must go more with prices of similar Basses sold recently in various areas just like the way houses are appraised rather than insurance or replacement appraisals. Germanic style Shop Basses have flooded the US market now for the past 100 years or so. They carry several labels or no label at all. Since there is usually no pedigree with these Basses other than maybe the US brand name or shop that may have made them, they are usually judged individually on sound, condition, repairs, modifications, model, woods, fittings, playability and what you can get for it in your area.

Most of these Basses are appraised at shops for more than they sell for being that there are a lot of them available nationwide. They usually sell for 3-8k on average in repaired workable condition from what I have seen. Some nicer ones sell higher like those of the Morelli brand or higher end labeled Anton or Wenzel Wilfers and the older Neuner Hornsteiner shop Basses.

A few years ago I acquired a shop type Bass and had it fully restored including re-graduation to Italian measurements, a C-ext added and all new fittings. This Bass matched many of the Italian Basses in the 40k range or higher and was fit for a major Orchestra. It was priced at 21k (about half its sound comparison) and sold for close to the asking price. That Bass may be a recent record of a shop type Bass in this area but the sound was far from any other I had heard. Also, it was in top repair condition.

Fixing a sound post crack properly on a Bass like yours should not affect the price all that much. If it is old and fully restored, it might sell higher in cleaner condition but without the repair, your New Standard is worth more!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks, Ken.

I don't currently own a camera, but I'll see if I can borrow one to get some pics up. It's a fairly typical no-label German flatback bass, with the Juzek-style squiggle on the back. Certainly wouldn't win any beauty contests, but he sound is very nice for jazz.

It's good to hear that I may not be taking a big resale value hit after I get the bass repaired. The repair bill alone is going to be bad enough.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Juzek-style squiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCowan View Post
Thanks, Ken.

I don't currently own a camera, but I'll see if I can borrow one to get some pics up. It's a fairly typical no-label German flatback bass, with the Juzek-style squiggle on the back. Certainly wouldn't win any beauty contests, but he sound is very nice for jazz.

It's good to hear that I may not be taking a big resale value hit after I get the bass repaired. The repair bill alone is going to be bad enough.
That 'Juzek-style squiggle' appeared on Basses before Juzek went into business. Juzek Basses were imported from shops around the German/Czech border and then labeled here in USA. Some Basses with that 'squiggle' say Roth, Lewis or even Wilfer (an actual maker of these Basses). I don't know if they 'purchased' any Flatbacks for the Juzek line but anything is possible when orders need to be filled.

I have a nearly 200 year old English Bass without a single crack running thru the top and it is listed at 90k. I have another English Bass from the same period being restored with a several Top cracks but that will list for about 140k. Why you ask? Because the one with the cracks sounds better and the Pedigree is more famous as far as Bass makers go from back then. The first one mentioned has a beautiful orchestral tone with power to spare. The other Bass is sweeter in the upper register and would be better for solos therefore a more versatile instrument if one could afford either Bass. Then again, sound is a matter of taste. Maybe the prices could be switched or both be listed for the same price and see what moves first and for how much. Then and only then will the real worth be realized. "Shooow me the Moneyyy"...

Condition can be overlooked if the sound is there. Pedigree plays a big factor in the price as well. Here is a Bass I have that is more expensive than both of those and will get even more work done to it as the condition pre-restored is much worse yet the sound is to die for not to mention everything else about the Bass.

Of the 3 Basses mentioned, only one do we know the exact pedigree 100% and he was a famous Violin and Cello maker in his time. The second Bass we have it close but not exact on the pedigree and the 3rd Bass, who cares.. It's a killer..
Old 02-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

In the world of expensive violins, violas and cellos, a soundpost crack can devalue an instrument by half. In the case of double basses, it's unusual for an ancient bass NOT to have one. Basses live a tough life; weather cracks, being dropped, banging into doors, and until recently, existing in conditions with no constant temperature or humidity. In general, I don't feel that a soundpost crack hurts a bass' value unless it has been poorly repaired.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks, Arnold. That's nice to hear.