Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 11-14-2010, 06:05 AM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

I'd prefer willow or maple because they are more durable woods and/or bend better. Usually on a well made bass they are just fit neatly and exactly, not wedged in. I think if the linings are bent and glued properly there's no real need to inlet them into the blocks. A good glue joint will outlast you, anyway! Strad did it on his violins and everyone copied him. Not every maker does it. There's a maker in Sydney who runs the linings smoothly across the blocks and joined with a long scarf joint. Looked a good idea to me but extra work. So you can inlet them if you like; there's plenty of wood on the blocks at the C bouts to allow this.

Either way, I don't think its going to make much difference to the sound. The linings are to provide a wider edge-grain gluing surface than the edge of the maple rib; as long as this is achieved i don't actually think it really matters what they're made of or whether they're inlet.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Strad did it on his violins and everyone copied him.
Strad also did not make basses - with that much wood there's a lot more to move around, and we all know that basses get beat up a lot more than violins...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Letting the linings into the blocks on a bass is unnecessary. It is done as a way of showing off the maker's skill. As Matthew stated, a well-glued joint will usually outlast the maker. Linings are temporary. After several plate removals (for repairs or alterations) the linings deteriorate, especially on a bass. Eventually they need to be replaced. For example, when I restored Ken's former Gilkes bass, all 12 linings were replaced. Rarely does one find a very old bass with the linings intact. I personally use only two wood types for bass linings; spruce or willow.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Letting the linings into the blocks on a bass is unnecessary. It is done as a way of showing off the maker's skill. As Matthew stated, a well-glued joint will usually outlast the maker. Linings are temporary. After several plate removals (for repairs or alterations) the linings deteriorate, especially on a bass. Eventually they need to be replaced. For example, when I restored Ken's former Gilkes bass, all 12 linings were replaced. Rarely does one find a very old bass with the linings intact. I personally use only two wood types for bass linings; spruce or willow.
Arnold,what size do you cut your linings?

I'm redoing all the linings due to their size and wear.I removed the top today to find that the neck and end block are not totally flush with ribbing , this has caused cracks in the top . The pics should show where the cracks are in relation the the blocks ...
This in part must have had a hand in the bass not quite sounding as I envisioned it should (at least I hope so).I know that it's not always the best idea to take back and top off simultaneously but nothing was in place really besides the blocks and ribs.
In my research I have found out the bass has been opened at least twice in the last 15 years, as well as being refinished for some reason or other.Im starting to think by looking inside the bass that it suffered water damage at some time , the end block as Ken said earlier on certainly points to the possibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5287.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1923  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5288.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1924  
Old 11-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Adrian, I hope you don't have the top and back removed at the same time. I make linings in the style of the existing instrument. For a new bass, usually 3.5mm thick and 20-30mm wide.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Adrian, I hope you don't have the top and back removed at the same time. I make linings in the style of the existing instrument. For a new bass, usually 3.5mm thick and 20-30mm wide.
The back came off first (mostly by itself) , the top was glued on before by someone who saw fit to have to force the ribs inwards in order to get a 'correct looking' fit .
So I've now semi glued the back on with weak hide glue spread on easier to access parts of all six blocks, it fit well.I firstly glued thin blotting paper to the surface of the blocks/no wood on wood contact and quite strong.I did this so I could remove the top and see what's causing it to crack so much and then revisit the back.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Senior Posting Member

I have finished replacing all the linings on this bass now .
The back linings are 22mm wide and 2.5 thick and the top linings are really small at 10mm x 2.5 . Its my bass so I'm prepared to experiment with the small top linings.
The last linings were up to 10mm THICK on the c bouts and about 32mm wide all round.

I've read so many contrasting viewpoints on the difference that smaller linings can make ...
Im not expecting a miracle though

In the pic you can see the 'clean' wood where the old linings were.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2469.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1953  
Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Senior Posting Member

The bass is now done , and varnished. When the varnish is totally hard it'll get its final touch up and polish. Its such a pity that the instrument had its original varnish removed!

The real experiment was to replace the very large linings with smaller than conventional ones in the hope that the bass would simply sound better.
I also did thin out the bass bar and am happy to report that the alterations have made a big difference to the sound , especially the attack which is now fast . The bass has retained its original 'darkish' sound but is now more responsive and I think a little brighter sounding than before
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fb 2.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	2115  Click image for larger version

Name:	fb 1.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	2116  
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

Well done. It looks great - can you record a bit of sound for us?

I love the shot in your previous post of the linings from inside the bass. Architectural!

The french restoration I'm working on is lagging behind for a few reasons. But due to resume soon.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Well done. It looks great - can you record a bit of sound for us?

I love the shot in your previous post of the linings from inside the bass. Architectural!

The french restoration I'm working on is lagging behind for a few reasons. But due to resume soon.
Thanks , Ill certainly try to do a recording within the next couple of weeks when Im back from an overseas stint !