Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > English Basses & the British Isles

Old 08-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Posting Member

Adam Linz is on a distinguished road
Default Samuel Allen Bass

Besides Gary Peacock does anyone have any pictures of a Samuel Allen bass? Anyone own one? Any history background? Thanks, Adam Linz St. Paul, MN
Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Besides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Linz View Post
Besides Gary Peacock does anyone have any pictures of a Samuel Allen bass? Anyone own one? Any history background? Thanks, Adam Linz St. Paul, MN
That is the only Bass known by S.Allen. He was a Bow maker by trade and played bass I assume. He was friends with Old Bird of Bird & Son, dealers in London in the late 19th century. Bird introduced him to W.E. Hill in reference to a Job. Hill hired him and Allan became the first Bow maker in-house for Hill & Sons and set up that world famous Bow making shop.

I learned this after acquiring my Hart bass. Bird owned my bass then and had is card was on the tail block area rib, a third and separate piece form the other two lower ribs, a 3-pc assembly. This is the history that bore out of the Hart bass and the Bird card attached to it.

Samuel Allen is credited as making only one bass, the one that Gary Peacock owns. Arnold knows that bass fairly well. I have never seen the bass. Gary did visit here last year but had his road bass with him, a 3/4 German shop bass. I would love to have an hour or two with that Allen Bass.

Are you looking for an English bass for yourself?
Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Posting Member

Adam Linz is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thanks Ken

Hi Ken, thanks for the info. I use to go to school out east and ran into Gary at the Gage shop one day while his bass was there and he let me plunk a few notes while he tried out what looked like a Kennedy? Anyways, I was always fascinated with the shape of that bass and the sound that Gary got out of it, or any other bass for that matter. Didn't know that was the only one. It really is a looker.
Not looking for one right now, maybe down the road a bit. By the way Ken I saw your electric bass #8 today owned by Gordy Johnson here in Minneapolis. I'm trying to get Gordy to post pictures of that electric and the uprights that he has. I think you would like to see some of the instruments he owns. Anyways, best from the midwest and thanks for the history as always. Adam Linz
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Linz View Post
Hi Ken, thanks for the info. I use to go to school out east and ran into Gary at the Gage shop one day while his bass was there and he let me plunk a few notes while he tried out what looked like a Kennedy? Anyways, I was always fascinated with the shape of that bass and the sound that Gary got out of it, or any other bass for that matter. Didn't know that was the only one. It really is a looker.
Not looking for one right now, maybe down the road a bit. By the way Ken I saw your electric bass #8 today owned by Gordy Johnson here in Minneapolis. I'm trying to get Gordy to post pictures of that electric and the uprights that he has. I think you would like to see some of the instruments he owns. Anyways, best from the midwest and thanks for the history as always. Adam Linz
#8, wow.. Got #13 here for a clean up. Same first batch of basses.

On Gary's bass, it doesn't rank all that high with the great English basses. Neatly made as a Bow maker would do but not nearly as good a bass as it looks. This is from what I have heard and also I have played many many GREAT English basses. I am sure anyone would love that bass but if you can remember, I am sure that Kennedy beat it hands down unless it was not in tip top shape.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Junior Posting Member

jim dean is on a distinguished road
Default sam allen bass

Hi
I own a Sam Allen bass actually, and I thought it was the only one! clearly labelled inside etc. mine was played in London for many years in the LSO by my old bass prof Robin McGee. mother of pearl tuning pegs.
I have no idea how to insert pics on here, I'll try.
would be good to know what date etc is inside the other one.
jim