Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jack Notestein is on a distinguished road

All the information is very much appreciated and obviously complex. There are so many variable factors, changing with every instrument, shaping its own sound and unique, tactile response with the player.

Measuring (not calculating) the existing string tension (and string deflection at the 12th fret) on the low E string with my stock bridge will give me some numbers to begin my comparison. I'll then take similar measurements when I extend the string at various lengths back and at various degrees down from bridge level. I've got up to 3" of extra string length to try out and different ways of extending it from a shallow angle to a sharper one that puts more downward pressure on the bridge. I'm interested to see how these changes effect string pull and harmonic sensitivity as well as string tension. With the many possible ways that other components can effect change, I'm only looking at these two string-dimension variables for now to see where it leads. I'm looking forward to sharing what I find.

Thanks again.