Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road
Default Chadwick Folding Bass

Has anyone else seen or played the Chadwick folding Bass? www.foldingbass.com It's a laminated bass that built by Shen to Charlie Chadwick's design specifically for those of us who travel regularly. I've played a couple of them and I'm seriously considering purchasing one (though the neck is a bit thick for my taste, I figure I can always have it re-shaped).
Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road

I've seen a few at Dustin Williams' shop that were in for normal repairs, though I have not played one. Dustin told me that he has never had to repair any of the moving parts, but there do seem to be a lot of things in there that could work loose and rattle.

Bub has one and I think that he really likes it. I've been thinking about getting one as well, it seems like a great option for the road. That said, I hate to be an early adopter of anything. So, I'll probably wait a little longer before buying one.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Darrow View Post
I've seen a few at Dustin Williams' shop that were in for normal repairs, though I have not played one. Dustin told me that he has never had to repair any of the moving parts, but there do seem to be a lot of things in there that could work loose and rattle.

Bub has one and I think that he really likes it. I've been thinking about getting one as well, it seems like a great option for the road. That said, I hate to be an early adopter of anything. So, I'll probably wait a little longer before buying one.
I believe that Charlie took Mike Bub's to Folk Alliance, so I played it for a while there. And I've played one of the earlier versions. I didn't know if it's still primarily a Nashville thing, or if it's spread around...
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Posting Member

Brian Casey is on a distinguished road
Default Spreading Westward

I saw Paul Unger (Ft Worth Symph.) play one in Portland OR at a bass event. He's tuning in 5ths and it's his travel bass now. He hadn't had it long, but seemed to be sold on it. Nobody in the room knew it was a folding bass until he talked about it, then when asked he demonstrated it.

It's funny because my primary duo/trio partner just suggested that I look at getting a travel bass of some kind, and less than a week later, I was introduced to the Chadwick. To make the universe really allign, I just found out my Christopher 401, which had been on consignment since Spring, just sold for pretty much my asking price.

I think a Chadwick is in my very near future, but I would like to hear from more people who have actually played them. I didn't know how close I was to buying one, so I didn't play Paul's. (Not to mention I would have probably been too preoccupied with the 5ths tuning to really give it a fair shake.)

The one thing that I'm not sure about is that Paul had his action REALLY low, which isn't really my preference, and there was a fair amount of string noise and flappnig about of strings. I think that was more set up and strings (Thomastick Red Mitchell set) than the bass itself.

If anyone knows of a Chadwick in the NW US that I might be able to try out, I'd really appreciate it.

brian
Old 08-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Casey View Post
If anyone knows of a Chadwick in the NW US that I might be able to try out, I'd really appreciate it.
brian
I'd suggest that you give Charlie a shout - he should know of any up in your part of the country, or he might be able to hook you up with one of the guys who tours with one and will be passing through...

If I found a buyer for my Juzek, I think I'd go ahead and move to the Chadwick Folding Bass. My fall holds lots of tour dates that will be a bit awkward for an acoustic bass...
Old 11-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Hebert is on a distinguished road
Default 2015

It's 2015 now..can anyone comment on The CFB? Im hearing mostly from luthiers David Gage, Bill Merchant, Will from NAS that I shouldn't buy it. That it makes noise after a while and that Ill be disappointed. Comments?
Old 11-10-2015, 12:10 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Not? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hebert View Post
It's 2015 now..can anyone comment on The CFB? Im hearing mostly from luthiers David Gage, Bill Merchant, Will from NAS that I shouldn't buy it. That it makes noise after a while and that Ill be disappointed. Comments?
My friend here in Philly owns an old English bass, a modern Italian bass and an old Austrian bass. For travel, he now has a CFB and loves it. He is a pro and knows what a good bass is.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Smile

I have no personal experience with them, but my luthier told me he has worked on two, and they both creaked like an old boat.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:36 AM
Posting Member

I've had two folding basses, first a plywood version and now a hybrid and I couldn't be happier. Sometimes the basses need a bit of adjustment and Charlie is always available to answer questions if your local luthier is stumped. I have had no persistent issues with either of the folding basses and have recorded successfully with both. As long as they're in proper adjustment they don't creak or rattle.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Hebert is on a distinguished road

Can you give me a more specific idea of what adjustments and issues youve had? I'd get a Hybrid if I got one.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:14 AM
Posting Member

Sometimes the fingerboard can creak a little when the bass is assembled. There are a few different ways that Charlie addresses the issue depending on the situation.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:02 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michal Herman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Darrow View Post
I've had two folding basses, first a plywood version and now a hybrid and I couldn't be happier.
Hello Jeremy,
I am considering buying Chadwick Folding Bass. I am wondering which option to choose - ply or hybrid.
Is it noticeable upgrade in sound quality in hybrid version? In which way? I am looking for bass good for swing/jazz with richer lower register.
Also I am wondering about durability of folding mechanism. I live in Europe, so getting bass to Chadwick for regulation wont be either easy nor cheap. Do this mechanism needs regulations or repairs? How often?

Best Regards
Old 01-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Herman View Post
Hello Jeremy,
I am considering buying Chadwick Folding Bass. I am wondering which option to choose - ply or hybrid.
Is it noticeable upgrade in sound quality in hybrid version? In which way? I am looking for bass good for swing/jazz with richer lower register.
Also I am wondering about durability of folding mechanism. I live in Europe, so getting bass to Chadwick for regulation wont be either easy nor cheap. Do this mechanism needs regulations or repairs? How often?

Best Regards
The biggest difference I found between the ply and hybrids CFBs is that the dynamic response of the hybrid is better. The ply version tends to need a lot of energy to make it really speak, the hybrid responds better to a variety of right hand attacks, though it's not as responsive as a carved bass, or even a particularly nice plywood bass.

The folding parts are quite durable and can be repaired by a competent luthier, as long as they're willing to reach out to Charlie when necessary. I have not found that they need adjustment on a regular basis, I use my bass internationally for more that 100 dates a year and it hasn't let me down.