Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > New Forum Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Junior Posting Member

Richard Korn is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Iceland

Just joined the forum after spending a whole night reading many of the threads.
I'm originally from Connecticut but have been in the Iceland symphony from the late 70's with a few years in Vienna and Luxembourg. I also play in the chamber ensemble,a program pop band and anything else that comes along.
My main symphony bass is a 5 string Oskar Kappemeyer which is a copy of a Sebastian Dallinger ca.1780 in the Vienna Philharmonic. I also have an Abraham Prescott 1826 of the original cello shape...bait of a bear as you get up into thumb position but sounds like a church organ. Also an1808 5/8 size Viennese bass labelled Geissenhof? with its original neck and scroll.
Most interested in Prescott history especially the early ones.

Best regards, Richard
Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Korn View Post
Just joined the forum after spending a whole night reading many of the threads.
I'm originally from Connecticut but have been in the Iceland symphony from the late 70's with a few years in Vienna and Luxembourg. I also play in the chamber ensemble,a program pop band and anything else that comes along.
My main symphony bass is a 5 string Oskar Kappemeyer which is a copy of a Sebastian Dallinger ca.1780 in the Vienna Philharmonic. I also have an Abraham Prescott 1826 of the original cello shape...bait of a bear as you get up into thumb position but sounds like a church organ. Also an1808 5/8 size Viennese bass labelled Geissenhof? with its original neck and scroll.
Most interested in Prescott history especially the early ones.

Best regards, Richard
Do you play in the same Orchestra as a Dean Ferrell?. I can understand your interest in Prescott. It's an interesting study. I would be most interested in seeing your bass with the Viennese Geissenhof label. Franz Geissenhof was the pupil and successor to J.G. Thir, one of the greatest Viennese bass makers ever. That would be material for the German school is posting but I would be most interested personally. The Dallinger would be interesting as well but having a copy would be interesting to see also. It should be similar in ways to the Thir and his pupil.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Junior Posting Member

Richard Korn is on a distinguished road

Yes, Dean is also in the orchestra. I was going to come with him to Rochester and bring my Prescott but I didn't work out. I'll try for next year in Amsterdam.
My Dallinger copy is a great bass,easy to play,big sound with lots of color possibilities. works best with Eudoxas so far. Very similar in sound and looks to Stadlemann or Thir.I remember lusting after Streicher's Lembock when I was in his class.wonderful sound in these Vienesse basses. I will post pictures of it and the Geissenhof on the German thread and some of the Prescott during restoration to show the inside.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Korn View Post
Yes, Dean is also in the orchestra. I was going to come with him to Rochester and bring my Prescott but I didn't work out. I'll try for next year in Amsterdam.
My Dallinger copy is a great bass,easy to play,big sound with lots of color possibilities. works best with Eudoxas so far. Very similar in sound and looks to Stadlemann or Thir.I remember lusting after Streicher's Lembock when I was in his class.wonderful sound in these Vienesse basses. I will post pictures of it and the Geissenhof on the German thread and some of the Prescott during restoration to show the inside.
Ok, great Thanks in advance for showing your basses.