Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Question Grips on German bows - why?

So what's the story - obviously a grip is going to add a little weight, so if one is added or removed it will change the balance of the bow a bit - but why make a German bow with a grip in the first place?

The bow I've been playing the most for years has no grip, though it clearly had one at some point before I got it- what might I expect if I were to have a grip added?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Posting Member

Terry McDougal is on a distinguished road

Maybe it's for looks, like a little inlay that's sometimes on the frog? I have a bow that was converted from French that has one, my other doesn't. Makes no obvious difference.
Ken Smith will know.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McDougal View Post
Maybe it's for looks, like a little inlay that's sometimes on the frog? I have a bow that was converted from French that has one, my other doesn't. Makes no obvious difference.
Ken Smith will know.
Who, me? Hey, I play French Bow. I have no clue what you German bow players do.. sorry..
Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Make fist, swing from shoulder. Primate thing.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Posting Member

Terry McDougal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Who, me? Hey, I play French Bow. I have no clue what you German bow players do.. sorry..
No worries Ken, I'll run with this one.
Violin, viola and cello all use a bow that could be described as a French bow. Its shape is the standard shape for the three higher pitched instruments so I guess that features of these bows could easily find their way onto double bass bows. The German, or Butler, bow seems to predate the French, so maybe early bow makers just carried on the tradition, from bows for other string instruments, of putting on a leather grip? They must have wondered what use it would be - perhaps some players in those early days held the German bow like a French bow? Any violin players who switched to bass would tend to do this. There again, maybe early bow makers just thought the leather grip was a cool look?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Leather is a cool look for my motorcycle jacket, but I'm not so sure about on a bow...

Nah, I'm sure it is a carry-over from the other bows of the string family, and also that plenty of German bows have been (and are) played with an overhand grip. My bow shows plenty of wear from just such use even after the grip disappeared and I even do it myself on occasion.

Overall I'm just more curious about why we're still sticking with the grip today - if there's a legit reason for it or not. For all I know, it isn't possible to get enough weight at the frog end of the stick without making it too thick - or bulking up the frog - and the grip is just a means of adding mass in a way that looks traditional? I suppose a bowmaker who specializes in bass bows might know. Seems a breed few and far between...
Old 11-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Could not the opposite be true? German bows have that thingy because they have been upgraded from a French bow?