Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 05-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road
Default Flying with a bow/bowcase; checked in a bag, or carry on?

I've been taking a bow with me when I travel and renting basses where I land. I've been packing the bow in a bullet-proof Bobelock fiberglass case in my checked bag, with no hassle or worry.

Now I'm going for a short jaunt where I really don't need to check a bag; I could do it all carry on. I'm ignorant of the latest TSA attitude toward traveling with a bow, domestically. Anyone have any problems with bringing a bass bow, with a mastodon ivory tip, on the plane?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
I've been taking a bow with me when I travel and renting basses where I land. I've been packing the bow in a bullet-proof Bobelock fiberglass case in my checked bag, with no hassle or worry.

Now I'm going for a short jaunt where I really don't need to check a bag; I could do it all carry on. I'm ignorant of the latest TSA attitude toward traveling with a bow, domestically. Anyone have any problems with bringing a bass bow, with a mastodon ivory tip, on the plane?
Just don't show pics on the play of your pet Mastodon.

Might raise eyebrows!

To be safe, get a CF bow for travel. I have a few good ones here that I sell and I also practice with one of them at home. I sold a nice old Italian-made Pernambuco French bow to a fellow section mate and then he bought a CF bow as is 2nd bow. Then, he bought another CF bow from as well.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Just as a follow up, I ended up doing both on different legs of the trip: checking my bows in a sturdy case, in the middle of a large bag, and doing carry on. Both worked well, but I felt more comfortable doing carry on. I'll do that, next time. I got no hassle for the extra length of the bowcase...