Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Jargar's, again..

Hi, I have discussed these strings in the past and recently bought a set to try on one of the basses when I get the chance. I just finished putting them on my Hart bass which had some old Belcanto's on it. As I remember, the Jargar strings have heavier bottom strings as compared to some other brands, especially the E's. The Belcanto E/C was about .110 and the Jargar (medium/blue) E/C measured about .115. I had to re-notch my top nut on the extension to widen and lower it about a mm.

They Bow smooth and sound rich. When I first played the Passione's I may have commented that they reminded me of the Jargar's smoothness. The Gauges however are quite a bit beefier. I have used only the Medium and Heavy Jargars. I think I should also try the lighter/green silked set as well one of these days. Almost every brand I have tried, the E/C is usually a bit beefier in gauge than the regular non-extension E string.

I have 2 more rehearsals this week and then a concert so I think I will bring the Hart with this new set of Jargars on it. It's all Opera excerpts and some overtures. Last night was the first rehearsal and I brought my Neuner bass which I used Sunday as well on a different Orchestra gig. The Neuner has Flexocor 92 Starks on it. The bass itself is punchy, loud and deep. Almost too non-romantic for this Opera stuff. I am sure I can tame the Neuner with a different string but with some much booommm, pluummee type pizz work, I need more of that wide spread 'butterball' sound and less German edge.

Do any of you guys have experience with Jargars? Any of the gauges, with or without extensions? Your comments are welcomed.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:05 AM
Joshua phelps

Default String question

What does a set of these go for?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Joshua phelps

Default Rosin question

Also, what is your favorite rosin ken?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua phelps View Post
What does a set of these go for?
I will have to look it up but, they are less expensive than most strings. On some basses, they will sound a bit 'thuddy' and with little sustain if any for pizz. On other basses, they might just be the perfect match. On my Hart, they are smooth on the top and strong on the bottom, especially the E string. This is an Orchestral string mainly.

Quote:
Also, what is your favorite rosin ken?
For the most part I have been using Kolstein all weather rosin for a several years now. I have also used the new Oak as well as Nyman's Swedish rosin. Those 3 seem to work very similar. When I was selling a lot of the KSB bows I would offer a cake of Kolstein's with it because I was able to get them fairly cheap by the dozen from a wholesaler. Now I have a few cakes of Nymen's in the cabinet to use when the Kolstein runs out as I have one cake at home for practice and one in my bag for gigs. In the shop I have a small cake of Nymen's left that I picked up at the ISB in 2009. It was left on my Bow table and never claimed. I think it works as good as the Kolstein's and I don't have to buy a dozen or two to get a good price on them.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Joshua phelps

Default Rosin

I like oak rosin as well. I want to try new strings before I buy a new set, pretty nerve racking really. I have spirocores on now & am pretty satisfied but am always wondering if there are better strings. Arco is all I play (unless I'm doing pizz to learn a piece with difficult bowing to start).
Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Default Spiros?

Quote:
I like oak rosin as well. I want to try new strings before I buy a new set, pretty nerve racking really. I have spirocores on now & am pretty satisfied but am always wondering if there are better strings. Arco is all I play (unless I'm doing pizz to learn a piece with difficult bowing to start).
You play mainly with bow and use Spiros? What is it you look for in your sound?

In USA, very few players use Spirocore for Orchestra. Some use the Solo set for solo/orchestra tuning back and forth. The norm is Flexocors and Belcantos. Other Pirastro brands and some other bowing strings. When you can, go see a professional orchestra and try to see which sets the bass players are using. Also note how the play and dig in as well with the bow when the music requires. A string is usually matched to a bass for a player. I used Spiros many years ago but on a very old smooth deep dark Italian bass. One a brighter bass, it woukd just sound too harsh with the bow in comparison.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Joshua phelps

Default Strings

Yeah I know spirocores are a little weird for arco & are loved by jazz players but they are what came on my current Shen bass. That being said they bow better than helicore orchestra strings. I might just try to get a different set of thomastiks more suited for orchestra playing this next time.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
You play mainly with bow and use Spiros? What is it you look for in your sound?

In USA, very few players use Spirocore for Orchestra. Some use the Solo set for solo/orchestra tuning back and forth. The norm is Flexocors and Belcantos. Other Pirastro brands and some other bowing strings. When you can, go see a professional orchestra and try to see which sets the bass players are using. Also note how the play and dig in as well with the bow when the music requires. A string is usually matched to a bass for a player. I used Spiros many years ago but on a very old smooth deep dark Italian bass. One a brighter bass, it woukd just sound too harsh with the bow in comparison.

OT,
A little while back I acquired a Upton Hawkes and after trying EP's regular and lights, Obligatos, Helicores hybrids and orchestra, and Zyex, I ended up settling on Spiros medium gauge for Orchestra. Go figure?!... They sound great on that bass for whatever strange reason.
BTW, I did get them on ebay for $27! the seller said they were anywhere between 6 to 10 years old. still in great shape, but they've lost some of the nasal qualities and harshness.
Also, I must say that every once in a while I get an email from an orchestra player asking if I have an old set of spiros, being that they know I play mainly jazz!