Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Chinese/Asian

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Posting Member

Brian Casey is on a distinguished road
Default Christopher Basses and Resale/Trade Value

Hey all -

So, I'm in the market for an older European bass (as my current thread called Juzek NY? demonstrates) and I think I'm close to finding the right instrument out of a few that are currently available in my city.

My question now is what to do with my 7/8 Christopher 401. It's carved back and top (new info to me indicates laminate sides, but I'm not 100% on that...) and I've really liked the bass for the 2 years or so I've had it. It has a great big sound and is pretty accessible for a 7/8 bass - likely because the meansure is right around 42 inches.

I've been given advice by people around here I trust with conflicting opinions to either keep or sell this Christopher. I do like the sound, but I'm in this for the long haul and plan to continually upgrade until I've found what I consider a 'lifetime' instrument.

Music is a serious avocation; I'd consider myself semi-pro, as I make only 10-20% of my income playing and teaching bass.

Clearly, my choices are to keep or sell/trade the Christopher. I have about $3200 into it with Bobelok case and Full Circle. If I were to keep it, I don't think it would be played much. If I were to sell it, I'd probably just keep the proceeds in savings for now OR invest in a better bow.

Any thoughts on how the resale value will be affected over time? Are there opinions in terms of whether these basses are expected to increase in value over the years, or am I going to be losing capital if I hang on to it and think about selling in a couple years' time?

Seems like the Shen's might have a better chance of increasing in value over time, but this particlular instrument does have a better sound than most - it actually speaks and projects better than the Christopher 502 I play next to in a community orchestra - and they were set up by the same luthier...

Any thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Casey
aka Tanglehead