Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote
Default Original Flexocor & Original Flat-Chrome

Reading Ken's thread on the Flat-Chromesteel strings, and being that Flexocor ('92s) are well documented I thought I'd talk about another of Pirastro's major offerings in the way of steel ropecore strings.

As I understand it Original Flexocor (OF) and Original Flat-Chrome (OFC) are essentially the same strings, with those that meet a higher quality standard getting the OFC label. This could be entirely false, but I've yet to hear otherwise. edit: Rumor dispelled below! Nonetheless, I'm led to believe the OFC's have a bit sweeter sound - for reference they're what Jeff Bradetich uses, as far as I know.

Worth clarifying is that the Original Flat-Chromesteel is a different string from the Flat-Chromesteel just as Original Flexocor is different from Flexocor. While the Flat-Chromesteel's are bright and relatively supple under the hand per Ken's report, the OFC is a stiff heavy string with big dark tone.

Definitions out of the way, I'll share my experience. My string search has taken me from Helicore Orchestral to a mix of Flexocor (92) and Permanent strings, and now to a set of Original Flexocor. The move to Pirastro with my 92's was a great thing, as this was the first time I really liked how my bass sounded. Months later as I played on my teacher's bass I realized that pedigree of bass aside, his strings and setup were conducive to an even bigger tone - so I followed and got the Orig Flex set. They have much of the same dark rich qualities that the 92's had but with a bigger overall sound and a brighter/faster speaking top end. The G was a bit hard to tame, but with the rubber tone ring that comes with it installed it has settled nicely and works with the set. I'm fairly happy with these for orchestral playing overall, but I'm interested to know whether the OFC is worth the extra expense for a bit better tone.

I'd love to hear any experiences others have with these strings and what you think of them compared to the other standard choices.

Last edited by Jeff Moote; 07-04-2007 at 06:44 PM.