Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Strings

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Desmund Nichols Desmund Nichols is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 01-20-2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 151
Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols
Default Medium light set up

How much lower will the action be setup for medium light strings?
__________________
Des
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,930
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
How much lower will the action be setup for medium light strings?
Lower? From mediums? The G and D are the same. The A and E (and B for 5s) are lighter so, you will need higher action, not lower action to maintain the same tension or feel.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Desmund Nichols Desmund Nichols is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 01-20-2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 151
Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Lower? From mediums? The G and D are the same. The A and E (and B for 5s) is lighter so, you will need higher action, not lower action to maintain the same tension or feel.

I want to lower the action so I can play lighter. Its hard to tap and double thumb due to the high action. Another reason why I want to start using medium light strings.
__________________
Des
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,930
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
I want to lower the action so I can play lighter. Its hard to tap and double thumb due to the high action. Another reason why I want to start using medium light strings.
You can lower the action and maintain tension easier with the TCRM than with ML.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2017, 02:03 AM
Gerson Lazo Gerson Lazo is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 08-12-2016
Location: Boston
Posts: 9
Gerson Lazo is on a distinguished road
Default Can you elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
You can lower the action and maintain tension easier with the TCRM than with ML.
Hi Ken,

How does this work? Why would be easier on Medium than Medium light? Does this same concept applies to Burners TC ?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,930
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerson Lazo View Post
Hi Ken,

How does this work? Why would be easier on Medium than Medium light? Does this same concept applies to Burners TC ?

Thank you!
Lighter strings move more then mediums. Mediums can be lowered and keep more tension than lights. You have to play lighter on lights and can dig in more with mediums.

ML had M tops and L bottoms. Not as balanced as Ms or Ls across the set.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2017, 04:42 PM
Gerson Lazo Gerson Lazo is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 08-12-2016
Location: Boston
Posts: 9
Gerson Lazo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Lighter strings move more then mediums. Mediums can be lowered and keep more tension than lights. You have to play lighter on lights and can dig in more with mediums.

ML had M tops and L bottoms. Not as balanced as Ms or Ls across the set.
So if my playing was crazy light and I'd like a crazy crazy low setup, should I go for mediums ? I'm talking about lowering the strings as crazy as 2/64 ...

Let me know,
thank you for your time Ken,
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-2017, 11:48 PM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,930
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerson Lazo View Post
So if my playing was crazy light and I'd like a crazy crazy low setup, should I go for mediums ? I'm talking about lowering the strings as crazy as 2/64 ...

Let me know,
thank you for your time Ken,
You wont know till you try it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-14-2017, 01:26 AM
Gerson Lazo Gerson Lazo is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 08-12-2016
Location: Boston
Posts: 9
Gerson Lazo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
You wont know till you try it.
And on your experience, what has worked better for this purposes ?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,930
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerson Lazo View Post
And on your experience, what has worked better for this purposes ?
I don't use a set-up like that but also never used lights for any period of time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Gerson Lazo Gerson Lazo is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 08-12-2016
Location: Boston
Posts: 9
Gerson Lazo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I don't use a set-up like that but also never used lights for any period of time.
I see. Then I'll give it a try and find out!

Thank you Ken,
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - Ken Smith Basses, LTD. (All Rights Reserved)