Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Question Neck-Thru, Bolt-On Comparisons...

Dear Bass-Playin' Folks,

As a long-time bass guitar player and a first-time Ken Smith Bass owner (any day now!), I've noticed that, while enjoying this forum, quite a few of you have seemed to go ahead and initially (or at least very quickly) take the "Neck-Thru" plunge. Some of you own more than one neck-thru bass.

QUESTION: My first Ken Smith is going to be a BSR 5 MW. What are some of the noticable "enhancements" I'll notice as I later add my first neck-thru? How about a bolt-on with graphite inlays?

I've already begun to save my dimes & dollars for my next Ken Smith acquisition, so please enlighten me!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Answer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Dear Bass-Playin' Folks,

As a long-time bass guitar player and a first-time Ken Smith Bass owner (any day now!), I've noticed that, while enjoying this forum, quite a few of you have seemed to go ahead and initially (or at least very quickly) take the "Neck-Thru" plunge. Some of you own more than one neck-thru bass.

QUESTION: My first Ken Smith is going to be a BSR 5 MW. What are some of the noticable "enhancements" I'll notice as I later add my first neck-thru? How about a bolt-on with graphite inlays?

I've already begun to save my dimes & dollars for my next Ken Smith acquisition, so please enlighten me!

NOTE: My following response is based on my experience with Smith basses only.

Ok, this will be a challenge, but I will give it a shot.
By the way, I have played both types, so, here we go.....

Because you will be a first time Smith owner, you have no point of reference to make a comparison between a "neck-thru" and "bolt-on" neck. This is probably a good thing, so don't fret (no pun intended, ar ar). Ok.....I'll try and give you my personal observation, however, some subjectivity will exist from player to player due to ones set-up preferences and playing styles.

The action/feel is a notable difference between the "neck-thru" design vs. "bolt-on". With the "bolt-on" design, the fretboard and neck (obviously) does not meld into the body like the "neck-thru", consequently, the distance between the body and the string is slightly greater at the end of the fretboard. If you are use to the "neck-thru design", a "bolt-on" model will feel very different and most likely awkward (particularly if you thumb and pop alot).

Now, if you are upgrading to a "neck-thru" design, your first thought may very well be: "Wow, the action is slammed low and feels fantastic (i.e. plays like butter and sounds fantastic)". Depending on your playing style with the "bolt-on" design, it may take a little adjusting with a "neck-thru", however, don't be surprised if you upgrade to a "neck-thru" and never look back!

By the way Ronson, those 2 new Smith's you have planned for the future?...Make sure one of them is a Black Tiger Elite 7&7 (XGrade Walnut F&B with Tiger Maple Core, Walnut and Tiger Maple Lams. This one would be the one you would Will to me! LOL!)

Ok, back to my response:

For me personally, I could never go back to a "bolt-on" neck simply because I have grown accustomed to the "neck-thru" sound and feel (i.e. my ears and hands have developed such to hear and feel that 'overall 2nd-to-none-quality' that is inherent in Ken's "neck-thru" designed bass). This is in no way a slam against "bolt-ons". They play and sound great! You as the player will grow accustomed to that "bolt-on" feel and sound just as a "neck-thru" player grows accustomed to the "neck-thru" feel and sound. However and again, I would suspect once you go to a "neck-thru" design, there will be no turning back! Just close your eyes and feel and hear the difference.

Simply put, if you have grown accustomed to a "bolt-on" feel, you will be very happy with the Smith "bolt-on" neck (feel and sound). So, don't even entertain the thought that you have an inferior bass because it's a "bolt-on" model. This couldn't be further from the truth.

I would suggest you take a test drive with both types and decide which is best for your hands and ears. Hey, it may be that you find that you have an application of use for both!

By the way, as far as the "graphite inlay" question. I am assuming you are referring to the graphite re-inforced necks? If yes, the graphite bars simply provide more stablility for both the "bolt-on" and "neck-thru" designed necks.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-14-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

For me I am a major "bolt on" fan. To me there is a punch in a bolt on you don't find in a thru-neck. This is just my opinion but I do find for the way I play and want my Smith's to sound the bolt ons are the bomb. Good luck with you choice.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
For me I am a major "bolt on" fan. To me there is a punch in a bolt on you don't find in a thru-neck. This is just my opinion but I do find for the way I play and want my Smith's to sound the bolt ons are the bomb. Good luck with you choice.
Nice Tracks on your 'Myspace'.. real real cool playing there..

GUYS!!! Check this out!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Absolutely.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Nice Tracks on your 'Myspace'.. real real cool playing there..

GUYS!!! Check this out!

Absolutely. Very nice stuff Dennis!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

Thank you Ken and Tim... I do appreciate it.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Posting Member

Bill Doss is on a distinguished road
Default Neck t or Bolt on???

Well, I was a bolt on fan for the same reasons as Mr. Michaels stated. However.... I just got a BSR6EG and the difernce is HUGE! Yes, I lost a little attack, but gained smoothness and great depth. With a touch of mids I can get close to the attack of my CR5.

Overall, I am very happy that I switched to a NT. Check her out!!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/pbass19