Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 05-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road
Default End pin options

Here's something to chew on, when you feel like tinkering more than practicing (please open the attached PDF). The attached descriptions are nominally about 'cello endpins (regarding diameter, etc.) but the metal combinations and descriptions are equally relevant for us.

I've personally tried a few of these combinations, with help from "Online Metals" and West System epoxy (for the "metal within another metal tube" options) OnlineMetals.com | Order and Buy Metal Online - Small Quanities + Cut to Size

This info was from a website that has gone silent for a few years, called "French 'Cello Bow" that sold all of these end pin combinations for 'cello. They don't really sell for double bass (or didn't when I called). So, I did some tinkering on my own, with this as a guide.

I currently swap between solid steel (regular, medium carbon steel) and solid titanium, depending on where I'm playing, what bow I'm using, and the music I'm playing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf end pin options.pdf (1.08 MB, 892 views)