Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols
Default GN vs EG

Is there a tonal difference between a GN and an EG? Like does the 3 piece neck offer a different tone than then 5 piece neck? I am asking because I am almost financially ready to order my next. I just want to know everything I need to know before I order, so I can know exactly what im gettting. Does the catalyzed laquer change the tone? Or is it just cosmetic?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
Is there a tonal difference between a GN and an EG? Like does the 3 piece neck offer a different tone than then 5 piece neck? I am asking because I am almost financially ready to order my next. I just want to know everything I need to know before I order, so I can know exactly what im gettting. Does the catalyzed laquer change the tone? Or is it just cosmetic?
They both have the same 5 pc neck.

Everything makes a difference with woods, laminations and most of all, finish, when it comes to sound. How much is heard and felt in your hands might be different than what comes thru the amp but they are different. The 3pc neck is only on the MS series NT's. The GN is standard with 3pc body wings and the EG 5, if that was your concern initially. The 5 piece body wings will be different if it's the exact same bass and finish. Otherwise, there are too many variables to make a comparison and point to what is making it different.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
They both have the same 5 pc neck.

Everything makes a difference with woods, laminations and most of all, finish, when it comes to sound. How much is heard and felt in your hands might be different than what comes thru the amp but they are different. The 3pc neck is only on the MS series NT's. The GN is standard with 3pc body wings and the EG 5, if that was your concern initially. The 5 piece body wings will be different if it's the exact same bass and finish. Otherwise, there are too many variables to make a comparison and point to what is making it different.
O, my understanding is increasing. I was curious as to the laquer because my black tiger doesn't have the catalyzed laquer finish, and I really don't understand the purpose of the laquer. So that will be the deciding factor as to if I'm gonna order a GN or an EG.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
O, my understanding is increasing. I was curious as to the laquer because my black tiger doesn't have the catalyzed laquer finish, and I really don't understand the purpose of the laquer. So that will be the deciding factor as to if I'm gonna order a GN or an EG.
The Oil finish is a slightly warmer sound/feel than the Lacquer which can sound/feel quicker/brighter IF, both basses are made EXACTLY the same. But, they are NOT. The Elite/EG has a 5-pc body and that is also quicker/brighter as well. THAT is IF, you use the exact same body woods. Use different woods and the comparison is apples and oranges. It is all relevant!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The Oil finish is a slightly warmer sound/feel than the Lacquer which can sound/feel quicker/brighter IF, both basses are made EXACTLY the same. But, they are NOT. The Elite/EG has a 5-pc body and that is also quicker/brighter as well. THAT is IF, you use the exact same body woods. Use different woods and the comparison is apples and oranges. It is all relevant!
Thank you.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Posting Member

Does the body wings makes a difference? From 3 to 5 to 7?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Posting Member

I think ima just have to call the office, I have a lot of questions.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
I think ima just have to call the office, I have a lot of questions.
Yes, a slight difference with everything. Some models are standard with 3, 5, or 7. That is for a reason for both design and tone.

Call if you need. I am here just about every day during the week.