Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

Arturo Baguer is on a distinguished road

I was just listening to his British Double Bass cd. Incredibly high level of musicmaking. It must have been a real treat to have him over playing all those instruments.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up treat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Baguer View Post
I was just listening to his British Double Bass cd. Incredibly high level of musicmaking. It must have been a real treat to have him over playing all those instruments.
Yes, it was. Knowing Leon is a treat in itself. Having him in the same room playing basses is a very uplifting experience.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow Bollbach Endorsement from Leon Bosch;

"It is only thanks to the generosity of Ken Smith that I was able to make the unexpected and particularly gratifying contact with the work of the luthier Jeff Bollbach.

I arrived in Philadelphia (3/20/12) a day before having to perform a recital at Rowan University, but without a double bass. Ken Smith offered me the opportunity to try every single bass in his shop and to use whichever bass took my fancy.

It probably took me an hour or more to work my way through Marconcini, Hart, Tarr and Lamy amongst others, before I unexpectedly, and much to Ken’s surprise, decided on the Bollbach.

A beautiful quality of sound, exceptional clarity, huge volume and enormous projection combined to great effect and the instrument quickly endeared itself to me.

By the time I had completed my first rehearsal with piano, I knew that everything was going to be just fine, especially when Douglas Mapp, who popped in to hear us, frequently found it necessary to ask the pianist to play up!

The performance was truly enjoyable and the Bollbach performed equally well in the music of Jenő Takács, Pedro Valls, David Ellis and of course Bottesini.

This remarkable instrument embodies all the qualities of a great instrument and is one of the finest ‘modern’ instruments I have had the pleasure of performing on, and whoever gets to own it will be a very lucky person indeed.

Leon Bosch – July 2012"