Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mark Kerestes is on a distinguished road
Default copy of Franz Andreas

My friend had a stroke and his wife asked me to help her sell his double bass. I'm interested in learning to play double bass and would like to buy it from her if it is not very expensive. I have no clue on the value of the bass.
How can I get a fair price estimate on the value of a double bass in the Allentown,PA area?

Label inside reads:
copy of Franz Andreas Violinmacher
Mittenwald Garmisch Faciebat Anno 1951
made in Germany

Is this a 3/4 bass or 1/2 bass?
total length 70 1/2"
body height 42 1/2"
scale length 39 3/4"
upper width 19"
lower width 25 3/4"
scroll to shoulder 28"
width at nut 1 1/2"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	label.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	3315  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160626_1931007_rewind.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	3316  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160626_1934356_rewind.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	3317  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160626_1935102_rewind.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	3318  
Old 06-30-2016, 03:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool copy of Franz Andreas??

Well, first off, who is Franz Andreas? Never heard of him. Possibly a Brand Name. Copies are usually of famous Italian makers.

The size is possibly a 1/2 size by German standards back then and as well today by some. A small 3/4 is possible but without a new bridge and set-up, it is hard to say. The body size is closer to a small 3/4. 5/8 is an American size, not European to my understanding. It is a factory made plywood bass.

Value, well in 1951, probably no more then $100. In 1950s-60s (post WWII), a 3/4 Juzek imported bass (made by Lang in Mittenwald most likely) was only $150. I had one bought straight from the importer in 1966 and the prices were stable there for over a decade.

So using the inflation calculator, $100 then is about $900 now. Plywood basses are the lower cost student models. 1/2 size is usually for players under 15 or small people as it is too small for a regular sized adult, comparatively. Some adults barely over 5ft tall play 3/4 and 4/4 basses.

As far as actual value, you have to consider the quality of the bass when made as compared to the imported Juzek/Lang basses, old Kay Basses and today's Chinese basses as well. This bass looks fairly cheaply made so it may have been as low as $50 or so new in 1951.

The condition of the bass is fair at best from these pictures. In the least, you need a new bridge and strings as well as a clean up and possibly a fingerboard dressing. From a good bass luthier, that can run you $800-$1000 or more to get the bass playable again.

If this bass came to me for sale, I would be worried about spending more than $100-200 for it as-is knowing what work it needs and what quality it is or isn't. 1/2 sized old factory basses often run 1/2 or less value than a 3/4 bass as it is mainly a student bass for a young person.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:01 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default copy of Franz Andreas

Thanks!
I saw on your forum someone posted a question years ago about what looked like a similar bass but the label did not show "copy of".
I think I need to find a bass teacher before I spend too much time trying to learn on this thing. I thought the action was too high especially on the E string.
I posted some more pics.
Plywood is delaminating at edges, bung for end pin is not flush and tilted, neck looks to be epoxied to body. Comes with a bow.
It sounds like I am going to be storing my friends bass since he is in a skilled care facility and his wife is moving to an apartment in the same facility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160626_1924321_rewind.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	780.6 KB
ID:	3319  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160626_1931153_rewind.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	3320  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160626_1932054_rewind.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	3321  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160626_1949139_rewind.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	3322  
Old 06-30-2016, 10:36 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Cahill is on a distinguished road
Default Redirect this one to a charitable luthier or student orchestra?

I sometimes read stories about youth orchestras here and abroad that make due with modest instruments in an effort to teach children to play music.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kerestes View Post
Thanks!
I saw on your forum someone posted a question years ago about what looked like a similar bass but the label did not show "copy of".
I think I need to find a bass teacher before I spend too much time trying to learn on this thing. I thought the action was too high especially on the E string.
I posted some more pics.
Plywood is delaminating at edges, bung for end pin is not flush and tilted, neck looks to be epoxied to body. Comes with a bow.
It sounds like I am going to be storing my friends bass since he is in a skilled care facility and his wife is moving to an apartment in the same facility.
Ok, this bass would cost many times its value to fix professionally and return it to new-like condition as when made. I would not pay for a bass in this condition. The top is sunken in a bit as well from the look of the F hole E-side. It is literally a mess. Cheap made basses often do not hold up.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Cubbage is on a distinguished road

I agree with what Mr. Smith has written about this bass.

The cost of repairs done properly would likely exceed the value of the instrument. If someone chose to fix the bass up themselves, upon completion, they would likely have found the experience and result to have been frustrating.

Someone may want the tuning gears, neck?, furniture?, and bridge adjusters, for parts.

Just my opinion.

-Dr. C.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Junior Posting Member

Smile Donated

After some time trying to sell my old friends bass, his widow finally agreed to donate it to a good cause to a local school. My wife will be happy when it is out of the house and we'll get some of our closet space back.

Thanks for all the advice on this old plywood bass.