Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 07-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Junior Posting Member

todd richmond is on a distinguished road
Default Tiger vs same wood body

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a Black Tiger 5, walnut/maple/walnut. Typically I'm a walnut body guy, but I did play a GN that was all walnut and didn't quite send me. From reading here, it seems like sandwiching walnut and maple (in either direction) tends to bring the "best of both worlds" thing. Since I tend to lean more walnut than maple, I'm assuming that going with the maple core is probably the way to go. Since I'm buying long distance, no ability to test with my own hands so I need to make the best guess.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd richmond View Post
So I'm about to pull the trigger on a Black Tiger 5, walnut/maple/walnut. Typically I'm a walnut body guy, but I did play a GN that was all walnut and didn't quite send me. From reading here, it seems like sandwiching walnut and maple (in either direction) tends to bring the "best of both worlds" thing. Since I tend to lean more walnut than maple, I'm assuming that going with the maple core is probably the way to go. Since I'm buying long distance, no ability to test with my own hands so I need to make the best guess.
A GN in all walnut? Or do you mean over a walnut core, 5pc wings with maple laminates?

If so, those body wing sets made around 2001-2002 were with western grown Claro Walnut and not eastern grown Black Walnut. The cores were Black Walnut on those basses and the Maple, I don't remember. We used all species for laminates as we saw up 1" top or neck woods with less or no figure and use these pieces for laminates as opposed to using slices veneer which is thinner and not book matched.

So, it is a different wood laminate construction entirely. The rest of the bass betwen the GN and TN are the same. It is the body that makes them different.

It is usually the Top wood that makes the most difference with the sound as the Core under it flavors the top. The fingerboard wood is also on the top of the neck under the strings. That matters too.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Junior Posting Member

The GN was walnut over walnut core and a recent (new) instrument. The BTs are new as well (at Bass Central). Trying to stay lighter in weight so luckily that is an easy metric to figure out from a distance. They have one that is 9.5 lbs and that would work well as my discs like less stress on the shoulder. That said, I end up playing seated more and more these days, by choice.

I typically like walnut, so sounds like BT is the way to go.

One other question - is there much variation in the neck shape/carve? Since they are done by hand I figure there is some difference but in the few I've played I didn't notice night/day difference.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
The GN was walnut over walnut core and a recent (new) instrument. The BTs are new as well (at Bass Central). Trying to stay lighter in weight so luckily that is an easy metric to figure out from a distance. They have one that is 9.5 lbs and that would work well as my discs like less stress on the shoulder. That said, I end up playing seated more and more these days, by choice.

I typically like walnut, so sounds like BT is the way to go.

One other question - is there much variation in the neck shape/carve? Since they are done by hand I figure there is some difference but in the few I've played I didn't notice night/day difference.
BT or BSR shape is the same bass except for the body shape. Necks are basically the same but the variation is by nature as the final carving and sanding is all by hand.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Junior Posting Member

Sorry, I'm mixing acronyms. I meant Black Tiger is the way to go for me. The BT body shape won't really hang well on a strap for me. The BSR I can play seated or standing no problem.

That's what I figured on the neck - handmade is...handmade.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:41 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Sorry, I'm mixing acronyms. I meant Black Tiger is the way to go for me. The BT body shape won't really hang well on a strap for me. The BSR I can play seated or standing no problem.

That's what I figured on the neck - handmade is...handmade.
Ok, got it. For me personally, I prefer the BT shape as do many pros. They and myself play with the right arm over the body and not around it like a guitar with a pick. The arm helps to balance the bass. Sitting, you don't have the upper horn as long like on a BSR. The BT shape is easier for my to work with, sitting or standing.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 AM
Junior Posting Member

interesting. I have always found that short upper horns tend to put the nut too far away from my body so I'm stretching to get down there. Seated it becomes a non-issue. But that was with Roscoes. Haven't tried a BT shape as i assumed it wouldn't work for me ergonomically.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:52 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

Quote:
interesting. I have always found that short upper horns tend to put the nut too far away from my body so I'm stretching to get down there. Seated it becomes a non-issue. But that was with Roscoes. Haven't tried a BT shape as i assumed it wouldn't work for me ergonomically.
Nut to Bridge is the same on both models for us. I don't know what others do.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Posting Member

Ronen Tat is on a distinguished road

I think what he means is that the BT's shorter upper horn forces the bass to the left (if you're right handed). Same scale length, just different position on your body.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronen Tat View Post
I think what he means is that the BT's shorter upper horn forces the bass to the left (if you're right handed). Same scale length, just different position on your body.
That can happen if you eat a big meal right before as well.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Posting Member

Ronen Tat is on a distinguished road

LOL... Eating before a gig is highly not recommended!
Back to the thing, I prefer the BSR just for that reason. Visually, I prefer the BT shape.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Junior Posting Member

Yes, typically I find a shorter upper horn (most basses going to like the 12th or 13th fret) moves the nut further away from my torso giving a longer reach to the nut. Even though I have long arms, it can cause a funky wrist angle in the extreme. The BSR is fine. I haven't tried the BT shape but it looks like it wouldn't be ideal for me.

At any rate, a black tiger will be here The for me to start working with. Have a gig Fri night so it'll get a quick baptism.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb 15th/+

Quote:
Yes, typically I find a shorter upper horn (most basses going to like the 12th or 13th fret) moves the nut further away from my torso giving a longer reach to the nut. Even though I have long arms, it can cause a funky wrist angle in the extreme. The BSR is fine. I haven't tried the BT shape but it looks like it wouldn't be ideal for me.

At any rate, a black tiger will be here The for me to start working with. Have a gig Fri night so it'll get a quick baptism.
The BT horn goes to the 15th fret with the recessed straploks and the bolt-ons with the external strap buttons go up to the 14th fret. For what that's worth!