Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 07-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Posting Member

Mike Jenkins is on a distinguished road
Default Next Year makes 30 Right?

If I'm not mistaken 2008 is the 30-year anniversary for Smith Basses right? Ken do you have any special models planned? If so do you mind clueing us in?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Mistaken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
If I'm not mistaken 2008 is the 30-year anniversary for Smith Basses right? Ken do you have any special models planned? If so do you mind clueing us in?
Wouldn't that be 2009 for the 30th. Ann.?

Old 07-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Posting Member

Mike Jenkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Wouldn't that be 2009 for the 30th. Ann.?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Smith Basses started in 1978. I was born in 1976 and turned 30 in 2006 so I figure if Smith basses started in 78 it would turn 30 in 2008. Anyhow, the thread is about the 30th coming up soon. Is there anything cooking that might be of interest?

Those 25th anniversary models look sweet! I've never heard one or even seen one in person. Is there something bigger and better in the works? Is there a waiting list? Will the 25th Anniversary model be retired, or renamed the 30th? Or does thirty years even matter to you Mr. Smith. Will it just be treated like any other year?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool 30 years????

Yikes, I'm getting old..

I started the company in Sept.1978 on paper. It wasn't until mid 1979 I had a semi-finished Prototype and the first Basses completed in Jan.1980.

Technically, 9/78 is the start so go figure. I use 1979 as the start as we didn't do much at all in '78. The Proto-type Bass made in '76-'77 was my personal working-Bass so I don't count that as part of the company time wise.

A 30th model? I don't know what I can do as far as anything new or better. We changed the 25th early on to include 7pc neck and body parts.

My plan was to make the 25th model as the end-all Smith (gadget-less) and have a 'Classy' Bass that we can continue to make as our 'benchmark' model as long as the special woods held out in stock. (I should live so long..)

(Any of you guys seen the Movie 'The Green Mile' with Tom Hanks? That's my curse, for saving up all this wood).

In case you guys are not aware of it, some of the Top woods we are using are older than some members of this Forum. The average is 5-10 years only as a minimum with some pieces being 15-20 years old having been stashed away as my private stock 'hold a gun to my head' wood when it finally gets used. The 25th model was the occasion to 'give the key' to my 'vault' and let any 25th buyer pick or have the best that my eyes have seen not to mention the natural aging the wood has had mainly due to saving up these rare pieces.

30th model? Haven't thought much about new models lately. If I think of something worth making a model called a 30th, I will mention it.

Note: Unlike the Auto industry (and some others), we don't have to change the shape, color and gadgets each year to attract buyers or to make a good product. In my opinion, we are currently making the best quality Smith Basses we have ever made in our history, hands down!

Last edited by Ken Smith; 11-09-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typos and addition
Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Junior Posting Member

Nicky Cardillo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If I think of something worth making a model called a 30th, I will mention it.
How about an archtop? I think my 'dream electric bass' would be a carved archtop built by Mr. Smith. Fat chance, though, huh?

Worth a shot.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Fat chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Cardillo View Post
How about an archtop? I think my 'dream electric bass' would be a carved archtop built by Mr. Smith. Fat chance, though, huh?

Worth a shot.
Yes, a Fat Chance and I am doing as much as I can to loose weight and become less fat!

I think the 25th model just about says it all for me. They started out as 5pc neck and body with a 7pc option. Soon after they became 7pc as standard for both neck and body. If something new comes along, it might just be added to the latest version of the 25th. After all, it would be the same Bass with an extra bell or whistle just like the 7pc option was added. Right?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Says it all?

The 25th. Ann. certainly says it all for me.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:56 AM
Junior Posting Member

Virgilio Venditti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Proto-type Bass made in '76-'77 was my personal working-Bass so I don't count that as part of the company time wise.
Any picture? Is it still working fine after all this time?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgilio Venditti View Post
Any picture? Is it still working fine after all this time?
I assume so but in someone else's hands. I sold that Bass shortly after the company (KSB) was started to LaBella Strings for testing their Bass strings. That same Bass was used by me for a few years for testing strings for them as well. LaBella helped me get started in this business so when Richard Cocco Jr. (now owner or E.&O. Mari/Labella) called and asked to buy the Bass from me which had been used to test all of their developments back then, I could not refuse. Some years later, they sold the Bass after it had been sitting around barely used to a player they thought worthy of it. I don't know where it is now, sorry..
Old 09-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Junior Posting Member

Virgilio Venditti is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Ken! Too bad it is hidden somewhere!!! Maybe the owner does not even know its "sentimental" value. Was it similar "a lot" or "not that much" to the first production basses? In other words: could you tell with a glance "...yes: it's a Ken Smith"?

Thank you, V.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgilio Venditti View Post
Thanks, Ken! Too bad it is hidden somewhere!!! Maybe the owner does not even know its "sentimental" value. Was it similar "a lot" or "not that much" to the first production basses? In other words: could you tell with a glance "...yes: it's a Ken Smith"?

Thank you, V.
Hummm... Well, yes. It does look Smith'ish but the first run of Basses were slightly different as we made a second Prototype copy of the first Proto' that was made as mentioned above. The basic design was there but in tooling up all the patterns and jigs to make the first production run, some slight changes were made. The Circuit on the first Bass was quite different and the second Proto' and first run had those even bigger circuit plates which was an expanded idea by far of the actual Prototype from 1976/'77.

I have a few pictures of these Prototypes here on my wall but I can't scan them for now. Maybe sometime in the future I will rip-up my photo collage, scan and post them and then restore the framed collage afterwards.

Visitors to my Shop can ask to see them as they are framed and leaning against a window behind my Computer desk in my office 'out-of-sight'. It's just that way, no real reason.