Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 12-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Posting Member

Jason Mendelson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jason Mendelson Send a message via MSN to Jason Mendelson
Default Can't believe what I found at Guitar Center!

So I went to my local guitar center to have a quick look around... Nothing to do today and its raining so figured id go...

I walk to the bass room as usual and POOF! I see a Ken Smith BMT Elite 5 string! SCHWING! I have been wanting a 5 string smith for the longest time PLUS this matches my 6 String BMT Elite 6 to the T (except for the matched headstock)...

So, I grabbed the thing and went up to the guy behind the counter "how much can you sell to me for."

So, here are the twins next to eachother...

The new one is the 5 String BMT Elite 5 G, its a 1993, my smith which I had since new is a 95 BMT Elite 6 G. Same woods. I think the guy messed with the electronics, still sounds good, but want to figure out what he did... So when I charge my camera again Ill take pix and maybe someone can figure it out,,, but it does have 2 - 3 position switches on it.

By the way... I now have a 6 String BSR6GN for sale... (its on the RIGHT in the 2nd pic)...

and the others...

Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Which one???

I guess you're talking about the BMT5 you got from GC with the 2-3 position switches??? That's not Ken's work. I'd be curious what else was done. What does the inside of the pre-amp look like?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Posting Member

Send a message via AIM to Jason Mendelson Send a message via MSN to Jason Mendelson

Yes the BMT5 is the new one...

Inside looks stock except for where the two swtiches are... the are both 3 position switches...

the pots turn super smooth... smoother than any of my other 3 smiths so I am really curious about it...

sounds great... plays great... so had to snag it... I have 30 days to take it back no questions asked if I find something is really screwie...

I have my digital camera charging so I can then take pix of the cavity so we can figure it out...

It does not have the dip switches that my other BMT6 has...
Old 12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Posting Member

ok here are some pix of the cavity...

Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Yep...

Yep, with the exception of the two new switches it looks like the Smith pre-amp I would expect to see. Whoever did the modification did a clean job as it appears. Even the shielding paint still looks good: Are the electronics quiet? What do the 2-3 position switches do?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Posting Member

I haven't played with it that much yet, but from what I heard in the store it almost just boosted the signal...
Old 12-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Junior Posting Member

Rainer Bastian is on a distinguished road
Default Bmt5

Hi Jason,

Seems to be a pair of coil select switches, the up position is the loudest, right ? That looks like serial wiring of the pickup. I believe mid position is single coil (don't know which one) and down position may be parallel humbucking. Check it out with a screwdriver or allen wrench tipping on the pole pieces (VERY low volume set !!), then you'll hear which coil is connected at single coil position and which not.

I am surprised to see a 93 BMT with a matching headstock, and the neck stringers are different from my 93 BMT (which has the Shedua stripes)...

Anyway: looks amazing - enjoy it !
Old 12-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Posting Member

ah yes that would make sense... Ill do that and figure it out...

Yes I was VERY shocked to see it... My mouth dropped, i looked at it for a second, grabbed it, went to the counter person and said... give me the best price so I can walk out today and took it...

The neck woods in this one are exactly the same as my 6 string which is a 96...

This bass was refinished I think... there is signifigant thumb wear between the pickups where the guys nail must have dug into it, but its glossy over it where it was re-finished....

still I couldnt pass this thing up...

now just gotta get rid of the BSR6GN
Old 12-18-2008, 01:50 AM
Junior Posting Member

Rainer Bastian is on a distinguished road
Default Polish or finish ?

May be the previous owner applied the original Smith polish recently. That makes raw wood areas glossy to some degree...
Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Bastian View Post
May be the previous owner applied the original Smith polish recently. That makes raw wood areas glossy to some degree...
Im not sure about that... I never used the stuff, but it doesnt feel like any polish, more like a lacquer, doesnt feel like it will "rub off"

either way, love the thing...

big difference playing a 5er from a 6... all my electric basses are 4 or 6's... now im diggin the 5 again... haha