Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

all 3 are stunning!

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Outstanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Bastian View Post
Got 3 new toys ....

Outstanding collection, I noticed the combo swicth on what shoud be the treble control, what year was the bass made?
Old 12-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Rainer Bastian is on a distinguished road
Default Got a '95 BMT Elite !!

Here it is - I love it !!!

7/7 option as usual on the old BMTs - rich Walnut top and back ! Has the all-Bubinga stripes in the neck. I searched a long time for getting this one...
Old 12-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Junior Posting Member

Rainer Bastian is on a distinguished road
Default And my fretless project is back from the service...

I've put my really worn BSR5EG in the service to replace the fretted board with a ebony fretless one, of course with a refinish. The deep "fire" of the original finish hasn't been completely reached, but overall it was a good refinish job.

The tone is quite similar to the Zon fretless sound and sings or growls - just as you treat it.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Junior Posting Member

David Newcomb is on a distinguished road

I had the late Gary Emmons of Crackerbox Music install a third straplock round about where the old gibson strap buttons went on the EB1 (sg model). I then went to a two strap system which was kinda like a harness that keeps my bass in an upright position so I could concentrate on playing and not holding the neck up all the time- I'm pretty small with small hands and I dont have enough energy for all that.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:23 AM
Junior Posting Member

IanMcElroy is on a distinguished road
Default My Bass

I just took a pretty good picture of mine and felt like showing it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kenS.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	524  
Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Posting Member

Very nice! Can we get a color version?

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 02-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Sure thing,

It will look like crap because of the exposure. I took that shot in the dark to test out the ISO and aperture settings on my camera. It came out real yellow-red looking so I put it through a Sepia filter to tone it down a touch.

Just to let you know the wall in the background is supposed to be white.

Photoshop is a wonderful thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KenColour.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	525  Click image for larger version

Name:	kenphotoed.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	537  

Last edited by IanMcElroy; 03-02-2008 at 01:28 AM. Reason: added a setnence: "just to let you know" / Fixed grammar / added picture.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Nice Axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMcElroy View Post
It will look like crap because of the exposure. I took that shot in the dark to test out the ISO and aperture settings on my camera. It came out real yellow-red looking so I put it through a Sepia filter to tone it down a touch.

Just to let you know the wall in the background is supposed to be white.
Its a Beautiful Axe man I love the wood choices, How long have you had it and was it made for you or you picked it up second hand?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default The Bass Story

Well, since you asked.

I've had it for about a year now but it's from mid 2005. My good friend Dan had one made for him in 2004 I think. He had it for a year but he left it at his Church and it was stolen from the store room along with mid 1960's Strat. I started working at his old Job when he quit and I ordered him the new one when the insurance money came through. He had a kid, bought a house, and got married in the time that it took the bass to get there and canceled the order from us so he could have the money to buy stuff for his family.

So about two years goes by and I have some money saved from gigs and I start thinking about a new bass. I remember the first time a came to Ken's webpage, when I was about 16, thinking "man I can't wait to get one of those". So I call Ken. I really like Koa but with its prices the way they are and how hard it is to get a good piece we started talking about a Black Tiger. It was sort of a compromise but a really good one and I was happy. The way that the Chain that I worked for works is that it has central buying so I had to call my Head Office to get a price and okay it with them. I called and they said, "We've got a Koa BSR4GN here if you want it". It was the replacement Bass for Dan!!! It was sitting a warehouse for over a year hanging out with a bunch of boxes. I took it and got a real good price on it and that's how I got my bass.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Another Koa lover!.. The core wood of my BSR4EG is Koa..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Junior Posting Member

Terry Atkinson is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, so forgive my screen name. It is in process to be changed, per forum protocol. My real name is Terry.

My Smith is a 92 CR5. I have had it for 6 or so years. White oak over walnut core. I haven't seen one in oak before, from any builder. Not an especially flamboyant wood, but very cool if you are into understated wood.

I have a question for Ken on the bass. As you can see, under the serial number is stamped "Chucky". The seller told me he bought it at a show, and it was built *for* Chuck Rainy. Any truth to that, or shall I dash my hopes right now?

Whatever the history, its a great sounding and fun bass to play.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	smith-front.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	526  Click image for larger version

Name:	smith-back.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	527  Click image for larger version

Name:	smith-chucky.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	528  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Chucky..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xybornaut View Post
Hi all,

I am new to the forum, so forgive my screen name. It is in process to be changed, per forum protocol. My real name is Terry.

My Smith is a 92 CR5. I have had it for 6 or so years. White oak over walnut core. I haven't seen one in oak before, from any builder. Not an especially flamboyant wood, but very cool if you are into understated wood.

I have a question for Ken on the bass. As you can see, under the serial number is stamped "Chucky". The seller told me he bought it at a show, and it was built *for* Chuck Rainy. Any truth to that, or shall I dash my hopes right now?

Whatever the history, its a great sounding and fun bass to play.

Terry
Yes, this was made for Chuck Rainey. Several years ago when Chuck was on tour in Europe, his ex-wife (then wife) took all his Bass he left at home and sold them as she needed some cash/money while he was away. I don't know all the details but I got this partial story directly from Chuck. He knew some of those that bought his basses 'legally' so when he needed them, he would borrow them back for recordings and such.

I bought some quartered white Oak back in 1987 to try for some basses and made only a few with it. This was the last of the 2 or 3 I made. It was also a wide spacing I think. When the saddles at the bridge have a small space between them, it's the 19mm. When they touch, it's the 18mm. The saddles are all the same size so that's how I can tell.

'Chucky' is his nick name as he told me.

This is a CR5G model, #080 in sequence and QO is the wood, quartered Oak and 92 is the year 1992. This Bass was completed for Chuck Rainey on 11/25/1992. The Bass does not have the 'G' for graphite in the # as back then, we made them all with Graphite anyway so it wasn't necessary. Now we make both the CR5 without graphite and the CR5G with the Graphite so the #s are marked accordingly.

What you have here is a piece of Ken Smith history.

Chuck was also my favorite player years before we ever met and I worked hard to imitate his style. One time while making a record for a NY singer Mercedes Hall (mother of the famous actor Anthony Michael Hall. I remember Michael when he was just a child. One new years gig, he sat in on bongos. He was so cute..lol.. A real energetic kid back then), I was really into Chuck's type of sound and approach. That night I ran into one of the backup singers that was overdubbing on the track, a disco version of Elvis's "Hurt" (this was 1975 by the way). The singer tells me that they got so into the bass line that they lost their place and had to start over again. They assumed it was Chuck Rainey on the track but they were told it was me, Ken Smith on it.. lol.. but true story. One more was back in 1982, my first meeting of Chuck after only talking on the phone with him once before about a bass. It was at the NAMM show in Atlanta and I was in my booth playing shortly before the show opened that day. Well, Chuck walks by right in the middle of my lick stealing warm up and he shouts out from an isle away "Hey, watch that s**t" (or was it 'stuff', can't recall).. lol

I was a working Pro in the NY studios Back then and Chuck I think was in LA. Some of the producers I worked for used to call him when he was in town so I guess he was just being protective. By the way, he said it with a smile on his face. We are still friends regardless of business or music. I still think his bass lines are the best ever. Chuck is also a great guy to hang with as we have had many dinners and times together.

So, now you have it. Chuck is my all time favorite Electric Bass player. Not Stanley, Jaco, Victor or any of the other acrobats. For music, my money is on Chucky!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Junior Posting Member

Terry Atkinson is on a distinguished road

Ken,

What a great story. Thanks for sharing it. Its nice to know that I have an instrument connected to such a colorful history. I guess its fair for me to relate how I acquired the bass.

I have been a guitar player for 30+ years, and never played bass until 2000, when I began putting together my studio. At the time, I was recording keyboard bass, but was not very happy with the sound or the process. I started hunting around for an electric bass.

A good friend, who is also a jazz bass player, has played the same Smith since the late 80s. He obviously recommended them highly. I tried a few in my travels and began to lock in on finding one. I had more or less settled on a new BSR5 in maple from the Bass Palace in Scranton PA.

Being that I am in Ottawa, and unable to try that particular bass without buying first, I asked the guy, if money was no object (up to a point), what is the best sounding bass he has in his shop. He told me this CR5, which he had recently bought at a show, likely related to the "sale" by his wife. Frankly, it was premium priced at the time, but the possible connection to Chuck Rainy intrigued me. So I bought it.

I have used it for recording since, and recently began playing it regularly in my weekly "gig" at church -- my first bass gig. Like I said above, I totally enjoy this bass. Though I still have an eye out for a nice BSR5 in tiger maple.

Terry
Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Great story.....

Wow, great story Ken. Thx for sharing Terry.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:57 AM
Junior Posting Member

Gianluca Caldarella is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Gianluca Caldarella

Great story Ken, thank You for sharing it with us.

Could You please suggest me some albums where I can listen to C.Rainey's basslines?

Grazie mille!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Albums?

Chuck has countless credits to his name. But here's a good starting point.....

Check out Steely Dan's

Pretzel Logic
The Gaucho
The Royal Scam
Aja
Kady Lied

Old 03-09-2008, 05:14 AM
Junior Posting Member

Oh, many thanks Tim.

I'm a BIG fan of Steely Dan's music...I own all their beautiful recordings and the Fagen's awesome solo cds.

Asap, I will post photos of my beautiful 1987's KSB BT 6 /bubinga t&b).

How can I post the attachements?

Ciao Tim

Gianluca
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Posting Pics...

Check out Mike's link detailing how you do all this.

http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=100

Old 03-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Junior Posting Member

Grazie mille! Many thanks!

ciao,

Gianluca